Mariners split DH with IndiansAug 24, 2011 - 4:13 AM
In the earlier game on Tuesday, Shin-Soo Choo belted a three-run homer in the bottom of the ninth to give the Indians a 7-5 win.
Mike Carp hit a two-run home run while Franklin Gutierrez went 3-for-5 with two RBI and two runs scored for the Mariners, who came into the game having lost six of seven.
Anthony Vasquez (1-0) made his MLB debut and got the win as he gave up six runs -- five earned -- on nine hits and two walks over 5 1/3 innings of work.
"I felt pretty good. I was able to relax a little bit and settle in," Vasquez said of his debut.
Choo hit a solo homer and drove in two while Jack Hannahan went 4-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored for the Indians, who have lost five of their last six.
Zach McAllister (0-1) made his second career start and got the loss as he was tagged for 10 runs -- eight earned -- on nine hits with two walks in just 3 1/3 innings.
"It was another long day out there today," said Cleveland manager Manny Acta. "We could have used a good outing, but the kid couldn't pitch ahead and couldn't get the outs when he needed to. It's disappointing, but that's what you get when these kids come up and you don't know them that well. You have to be patient with them."
Kosuke Fukudome led off the second with a solo homer to give the Indians the early lead, but the Mariners answered with a five-run third.
With men on first and third and one out, Gutierrez hit a double to left that scored both runners and Ackley followed with a single to score Gutierrez. Carp then hit a homer over the wall in right for a 5-1 lead.
Choo's solo homer in the bottom of the third got one back for Cleveland, but the Mariners had another big inning in the fourth.
With the bases loaded and one out, Gutierrez punched a single to left and Ackley followed with a two-run single. Later in the frame, Wily Mo Pena hit a fly ball to center that saw the ball bounce off of Fukudome's glove and that allowed two runners to score for a 10-2 lead.
An RBI single from Jason Donald and an RBI groundout from Lou Marson in the fourth made it a 10-4 game.
Seattle tacked on a run in the fifth on an RBI single from Trayvon Robinson, but run scoring singles from Hannahan and Ezequiel Carrera in the sixth made it an 11-6 game.
Kyle Seager clubbed his second career home run in the eighth for a 12-6 advantage.
Cleveland loaded the bases with one out in the bottom of the eighth and Choo forced home a run with a walk. Jeff Gray, though, took over on the mound and got Carlos Santana to pop out to short and Shelley Duncan to line out and end the frame.
Cleveland left 11 men on base while Seattle stranded nine...Felix Hernandez pitches for Seattle in the series finale on Wednesday while Josh Tomlin takes the hill for Cleveland...Vasquez was called up before the game. The team placed pitcher Dan Cortes on the 15-day disabled list and released infielder Matt Mangini from Triple-A Tacoma on Tuesday...Cleveland has won five of the seven games with Seattle this season.
- SEATTLE: 12
Aug 23 10:20 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo walked. Jack Hannahan scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Carlos Santana due up.
Mariners 12, Indians 7 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 23 9:56 PM
- Kyle Seager one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Brendan Ryan due up.
Mariners 12, Indians 6 Top 8, 1 OutAug 23 9:39 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera struck out swinging. Bases loaded with two outs and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Mariners 11, Indians 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 23 9:11 PM
- Jack Hannahan single to center scored Shelley Duncan with one out. On the play, Kosuke Fukudome advances to second. Runners on first and second and Lou Marson due up.
Mariners 11, Indians 5 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 23 9:02 PM
- Trayvon Robinson single to center scored Brendan Ryan with one out. Runner on first with Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Mariners 11, Indians 4 Top 5, 1 OutAug 23 8:36 PM
- Brendan Ryan doubled to right. Runner on second with none out and Josh Bard due up.
Mariners 10, Indians 4 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 23 8:33 PM
- Jason Donald single to center scored Shelley Duncan with one out. Runner on first with Jack Hannahan due up.
Mariners 10, Indians 3 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 23 8:25 PM
- Wily Mo Pena reached second on Kosuke Fukudome's fielding error that scored Franklin Gutierrez and Dustin Ackley with two outs. Runner on second with Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 10, Indians 2 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 23 8:16 PM
- Dustin Ackley single to right scored Trayvon Robinson and Ichiro Suzuki with one out. On the play, Franklin Gutierrez advances to third. Runners on first and third with Mike Carp due up.
Mariners 8, Indians 2 Top 4, 1 OutAug 23 8:08 PM
- Carlos Santana grounded out pitcher to first to end the inning.
Mariners 5, Indians 2 End 3Aug 23 7:54 PM
- Mike Carp one-out, two-run Home Run (7) to right scored Dustin Ackley. Wily Mo Pena due up.
Mariners 5, Indians 1 Top 3, 1 OutAug 23 7:44 PM
- Dustin Ackley single to right scored Franklin Gutierrez with one out. Runner on first with Mike Carp due up.
Mariners 3, Indians 1 Top 3, 1 OutAug 23 7:43 PM
- Franklin Gutierrez double to left scored Josh Bard and Ichiro Suzuki with one out. Runner on second with Dustin Ackley due up.
Mariners 2, Indians 1 Top 3, 1 OutAug 23 7:41 PM
- Kosuke Fukudome lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Jason Donald due up.
Mariners 0, Indians 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 23 7:29 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 23 7:05 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21