Trout's 2 HRs carry Angels over MarinersAug 31, 2011 - 6:24 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Mike Trout belted two home runs and knocked in five runs to lead the Angels to a 13-6 victory over the Mariners in the second test of a four-game series.
Jerome Williams (2-0) lasted seven innings, allowing four runs on seven hits while fanning six to earn just his second win since 2005.
"I had an opportunity to come back and I'm going to take advantage of it," said Williams. "My confidence is through the roof."
Erick Aybar hit a two-run double for the Angels, who halted a two-game skid. They remain 3 1/2 games behind the AL West-leading Rangers.
Anthony Vasquez (1-1), making just the second major league start, gave up eight runs -- seven earned -- over four-plus innings to suffer the loss.
Ichiro Suzuki slapped a two-run single in the seventh to extend his hit streak to a season-high 13 games.
Trout's solo shot in the second gave the Angels a 1-0 lead.
"Full count changeup down and he kind of stayed on it and put it out," said Vasquez.
In the fourth, Torii Hunter and Mark Trumbo drew leadoff walks. Two batters later, Trout struck again, belting a 1-1 curveball from Vasquez over the wall in left.
"In the batter's box he's very comfortable," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said of Trout. "He's a talented kid getting a chance to play and he had a big night tonight."
The Mariners, who won Monday's series opener, 5-3, to halt three-game slide, awoke in the bottom half. Singles by Franklin Gutierrez and Dustin Ackley preceded a Mike Carp double, which plated one. Miguel Olivio's single made it a 4-2 game.
The Angels responded in the fifth, pushing across eight runs, which marked a single-inning season-high. Maicer Izturis led off with a double, moved to third on Peter Bourjos' bunt single and scored on Howie Kendrick's base hit. Hunter followed with an RBI single, chasing Vasquez from the game.
Jeff Gray walked Trumbo to load the bases, then pushed Kendrick and Hunter across with two more free passes. Aybar then drove in two with a double, Izturis hit a sac fly and Bourjos plated Aybar with a double, giving the Angels a comfortable 12-2 advantage.
Williams allowed a two-out, two-run single to Suzuki in the seventh and Bobby Cassevah gave up an RBI single to Olivio and a Kyle Seager sac fly in the eighth.
Bobby Abreu doubled home Trumbo in the ninth.
In his last start -- August 21 -- Williams earned his first win since Sept 25, 2005 versus the Astros. He went 2,156 days between major league victories, which marks the longest drought by an Angel since David LaRoche went six years and one day between wins (August 1, 1974 - August 2, 1980)...Trout's two home runs and five RBI were both single-game career highs.
- LOS ANGELES: 13
Aug 31 1:05 AM
- Bobby Abreu double to right scored Mark Trumbo with none out. Runner on second and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 13, Mariners 6 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 31 12:54 AM
- Kyle Seager sacrifice fly to center scored Mike Carp with one out. Runner on first and Casper Wells due up.
Angels 12, Mariners 6 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 31 12:42 AM
- Miguel Olivo infield single to third scored Dustin Ackley with none out. On the play, Mike Carp advances to third. Runners on first and third and Kyle Seager due up.
Angels 12, Mariners 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 31 12:40 AM
- Ichiro Suzuki single to right scored Miguel Olivo and Wily Mo Pena with two out. On the play, Brendan Ryan advances to third. Runners on first and third and Trayvon Robinson due up.
Angels 12, Mariners 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 31 12:25 AM
- Peter Bourjos double to center scored Erick Aybar with two out. Runner on second and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 12, Mariners 2 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 30 11:41 PM
- Maicer Izturis sacrifice fly to left scored Mike Trout with two out. On the play, Erick Aybar advances to third. Runner on third Peter Bourjos due up.
Angels 11, Mariners 2 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 30 11:41 PM
- Erick Aybar double to right scored Mark Trumbo and Vernon Wells with none out. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runners on second and third and Bobby Wilson due up.
Angels 10, Mariners 2 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 30 11:38 PM
- Mike Trout walked. Torii Hunter scored on the play. Bases loaded with none out and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 8, Mariners 2 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 30 11:36 PM
- Torii Hunter single to right scored Peter Bourjos with none out. On the play, Howie Kendrick advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 6, Mariners 2 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 30 11:24 PM
- Howie Kendrick single to right scored Maicer Izturis with none out. On the play, Peter Bourjos advances to third. Runners on first and third and Torii Hunter due up.
Angels 5, Mariners 2 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 30 11:20 PM
- Miguel Olivo infield single to short scored Dustin Ackley with one out. Runners on first and second and Kyle Seager due up.
Angels 4, Mariners 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 30 11:11 PM
- Erick Aybar grounded out short to first. None on with two outs and Bobby Wilson due up.
Angels 4, Mariners 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 30 10:58 PM
- Erick Aybar flied out to right. None on with two outs and Bobby Wilson due up.
Angels 1, Mariners 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 30 10:30 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 30 10:10 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21