Oakland's McCarthy blanks MarinersSep 3, 2011 - 11:09 PM
McCarthy (8-7) tied a season high with 10 strikeouts while posting his fourth complete game of the year.
Cliff Pennington hit a two-run double and Scott Sizemore added a solo homer for the Athletics, who have won three straight.
Michael Pineda (9-9) gave up five hits and three runs over six full frames for the Mariners, who suffered their third loss in a row and seventh in nine games.
Oakland snapped a scoreless deadlock in the fourth, as Hideki Matsui beat out an infield single to lead off, David DeJesus singled with one down and Pennington doubled in both with two outs.
Sizemore started the fifth with his eighth homer of the season for a 3-0 advantage, and McCarthy held down his end of the bargain from there.
He stranded Ichiro Suzuki at second in the sixth, then worked around a Josh Bard single in the eighth. Seattle went down in order in the ninth.
Pineda's only trouble early in his outing came in the Oakland third, when Kurt Suzuki walked with one out and Jemile Weeks hit a two-out infield single. Coco Crisp failed to keep the inning alive, looking at a called third strike to end the frame.
McCarthy didn't allow a baserunner until Dustin Ackley's two-out hit in the fourth. He stole second but was stranded there when Mike Carp struck out swinging.
McCarthy registered his fifth career complete game and notched his second career shutout. The first occurred when he pitched for Texas, at Houston, a 5-0 decision on May 24, 2009...Crisp left the game in the sixth inning with a right shin contusion...Seattle still leads the season series, 9-6.
- SEATTLE: 0
Sep 3 6:30 PM
- Scott Sizemore lead-off Home Run (8) to left. Jemile Weeks due up.
Mariners 0, Athletics 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 3 5:25 PM
- Cliff Pennington doubled to left scored Hideki Matsui and David DeJesus. Runner on second with two outs and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Mariners 0, Athletics 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 3 5:09 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 3 4:07 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21