A's top Mariners, complete sweepSep 5, 2011 - 1:08 AM
Cahill (10-13) gave up one run on five hits to pick up his first win since July 27. He struck out four and walked two for Oakland, which has won four in a row.
The right-hander, who was 0-4 over his previous six starts, has recorded double-digit victories for all three years of his major league career.
Dustin Ackley hit a two-run homer for the Mariners, who have lost four straight and eight of 10 overall. Luis Rodriguez added two RBI.
Blake Beavan (3-5) allowed four runs on seven hits over five innings to take the loss. The right-hander is 0-3 over his last five starts.
To make things worse for the 58-81 Mariners, outfielders Casper Wells and Franklin Gutierrez left the game with injuries.
The Mariners loaded the bases with one out in the second. Rodriguez flied out and Ichiro Suzuki grounded out to keep it a scoreless game.
Oakland took the lead in the home second and never looked back. Brandon Allen doubled to right, moved to third on Sweeney's groundout and scored on Kurt Suzuki's base hit to center.
The A's tacked on another run in the third for a 2-0 margin. Hideki Matsui led off with a double to center, his first of three on the day, advanced to third on Josh Willingham's single and crossed the plate on DeJesus' sacrifice fly.
"He swung the bat well and it seems like he is always contributing somewhere," A's manager Bob Melvin said of Matsui's performance
Suzuki put Seattle on the board with an RBI single in the fifth, but Oakland responded with two runs in the home half. Matsui doubled and scored on DeJesus' two-out single. Allen followed with an RBI double for a 4-1 lead.
Ackley's two-run homer off Brian Fuentes in the seventh cut the gap to 4-3.
The A's fought back again with four runs in the home half of the frame. Cliff Pennington walked and Matsui doubled to start things. Willingham hit a sac fly before DeJesus was intentionally walked. Sweeney laced a two-run triple down the left-field line past a diving Trayvon Robinson. Sweeney then scored on Josh Lueke's wild pitch to make it 8-3.
Rodriguez hit a two-run single off Grant Balfour in the eighth, but Seattle's second injury of the game followed. After Suzuki singled to put men on first and second with two outs, Gutierrez hurt his left side while swinging at a 1-1 pitch. Adam Kennedy took over the at-bat and struck out swinging.
Andrew Bailey worked around a one-out double in the ninth for his 19th save of the season.
The Mariners lead the season series with the A's, 9-7...Wells left the game in the second inning after getting hit by a pitch on his left elbow. He was replaced in the field by Robinson...The A's were without outfielder Coco Crisp (shin)...Mariners third baseman Chone Figgins was activated from the 15-day disabled list.
- SEATTLE: 5
Sep 4 7:13 PM
- Luis Rodriguez single to center scored Justin Smoak and Trayvon Robinson with two out. Runner on first and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Mariners 5, Athletics 8 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 4 6:45 PM
- Ryan Sweeney scored on a Josh Lueke wild pitch with two out. None on and Kurt Suzuki at the plate.
Mariners 3, Athletics 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 4 6:33 PM
- Ryan Sweeney triple to left scored Hideki Matsui and David DeJesus with two out. Runner on third and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Mariners 3, Athletics 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 4 6:32 PM
- Josh Willingham sacrifice fly to left scored Cliff Pennington with one out. Runner on second and David DeJesus due up.
Mariners 3, Athletics 5 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 4 6:27 PM
- Dustin Ackley two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right scored Franklin Gutierrez. Mike Carp due up.
Mariners 3, Athletics 4 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 4 6:18 PM
- Brandon Allen double to right scored David DeJesus with two out. Runner on second and Ryan Sweeney due up.
Mariners 1, Athletics 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 4 5:48 PM
- David DeJesus single to left scored Hideki Matsui with two out. On the play, David DeJesus advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Brandon Allen due up.
Mariners 1, Athletics 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 4 5:45 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki single to right scored Trayvon Robinson with one out. Runner on first and Franklin Gutierrez due up.
Mariners 1, Athletics 2 Top 5, 1 OutSep 4 5:28 PM
- David DeJesus sacrifice fly to center scored Hideki Matsui with one out. Runner on first and Brandon Allen due up.
Mariners 0, Athletics 2 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 4 5:08 PM
- Kurt Suzuki single to center scored Brandon Allen with one out. Runner on first and Scott Sizemore due up.
Mariners 0, Athletics 1 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 4 4:52 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 4 4:08 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21