Beavan, Mariners blank RangersSep 17, 2011 - 5:41 AM
Beavan (5-5) scattered four hits without a walk while striking out three and Brandon League pitched a 1-2-3 ninth for the Mariners, who have won their past two.
"He threw a great ball game for us tonight," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge about Beavan. "He only got into one tough situation out there and he was able to get out of it easy. The guy has a lot of confidence."
Casper Wells scored twice and hit a solo home run while Mike Carp also had an RBI in the win.
C.J. Wilson (16-7) was tagged for four runs -- one earned -- on six hits in 6 1/3 innings for the Rangers, who had a four-game winning streak snapped.
Texas maintained its 3 1/2 games lead over the Angels for first place in the AL West as the Angels lost to Baltimore on Friday.
Seattle scored all the runs it needed in the third inning. With one out, Wells walked and Brendan Ryan later hit a single. Dustin Ackley then reached base when Ian Kinsler's throw was off the mark, allowing Wells to score. Ryan then scored on a wild pitch and Carp beat out an infield single later in the inning for a 3-0 lead.
"It just got to the point where there was just nothing anyone could do," said Wilson. "It seemed like everything we tried just went the wrong way."
Wells hit a home run in the seventh to lead off the frame for a 4-0 advantage.
Beavan, meanwhile, was in control from the beginning as he only allowed one runner past second.
That happened in the sixth inning when Endy Chavez and Kinsler hit consecutive singles. However, Elvis Andrus hit into a double play, which saw Chavez reach third, and Josh Hamilton popped out to end the frame.
Beavan then set the Rangers down in order in the seventh and eighth while League did the same in the ninth to close the contest.
Before the game, the Mariners honored late Hall of Fame broadcaster Dave Niehaus with the first statue in franchise history. Niehaus was the lead broadcaster from the first game in franchise history through the end of the 2010 season. He passed away at the age of 75 last November...Beavan has won two straight games...Wilson had a three-game winning streak snapped and was 3-0 against the Mariners this season prior to Friday's game.
- TEXAS: 0
Sep 17 12:47 AM
- Casper Wells lead-off Home Run (11) to left. Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Rangers 0, Mariners 4 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 17 12:16 AM
- Mike Carp infield single to short scored Dustin Ackley with two out. On the play, Miguel Olivo advances to third. Runners on first and third and Wily Mo Pena due up.
Rangers 0, Mariners 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 16 11:11 PM
- Miguel Olivo infield single to short. On the play, Dustin Ackley advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Mike Carp due up.
Rangers 0, Mariners 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 16 11:05 PM
- Dustin Ackley reached first on Ian Kinsler's throwing error scored Casper Wells with two out. On the play, Brendan Ryan advances to third. Runners on first and third and Miguel Olivo due up.
Rangers 0, Mariners 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 16 11:03 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 16 10:11 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21