Kennedy, Mariners sends Twins to 10th straight lossSep 21, 2011 - 4:18 AM
Alex Liddi hit a two-run game-tying homer and Mike Carp totaled a career-high five hits -- including an RBI double -- for the Mariners, who have won four of their last six.
Jason Vargas (9-13) worked six innings for the win, allowing four runs -- three earned -- on nine hits. Brandon League worked out of a bases-loaded situation in the ninth to pick up his 35th save.
"It was quite an inning there. You don't anticipate bases-loaded nobody out in the ninth inning and on the road to boot," said Mariners manager Eric Wedge. "League did a great job. All the young kids here are gonna learn from that. You have to be mistake free to win that kind of ballgame."
Ben Revere had four hits and an RBI for the Twins, who hadn't seen a double- digit losing skid since dropping 10 straight from September 9-19, 1998. Trevor Plouffe doubled twice and drove in a run in the setback.
Brian Duensing (9-14) served up the deciding run in 1 1/3 relief frames.
Subbing for starter Liam Hendriks, Duensing walked Kyle Seager to start the seventh and Carp added a one-out single. Wily Mo Pena reached on a fielder's choice to leave men on the corners, then Kennedy's slow roller to the mound was able to plate Seager with the go-ahead run.
Duensing's bad throw to second allowed Pena to reach third, but Matt Capps induced an inning-ending grounder from Miguel Olivo to keep it 5-4.
The Twins didn't go down without a fight against League in their last turn at the plate. Rene Tosoni started with a pinch single and Revere followed with a base hit. Plouffe then laid down a bunt, but League's throw was errant to first, and the bases were loaded.
But Michael Cuddyer fanned swinging, then Chris Parmelee grounded into a force out at home. Danny Valencia grounded to third for the final out.
"It's tough. And I'll take that blame tonight. I didn't come through," Cuddyer admitted. "When you're one of the only guys who have seen League before, you can't strike out. You don't want to get 100 losses. Everybody's got pride. You have to play hard and play to win."
Each team scored twice in the opening frame, with Seattle producing an RBI single from Seager and RBI double from Carp, while Minnesota got run-scoring doubles by Plouffe and Parmelee.
Revere and Parmelee added RBI hits in the fourth and fifth innings, respectively to give the Twins a 4-2 edge, but Olivo doubled with one down in the sixth and Liddi tied the score with a shot to left.
Seattle has won four of the six meetings with Minnesota this season...Carp's previous high was four hits, accomplished on July 27 against the Yankees...Hendriks allowed 10 hits and four runs with five strikeouts over 5 1/3 innings.
- SEATTLE: 5
Sep 20 11:09 PM
- Miguel Olivo grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Mariners 5, Twins 4 Mid 7Sep 20 10:23 PM
- Alex Liddi one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Miguel Olivo. Trayvon Robinson due up.
Mariners 4, Twins 4 Top 6, 1 OutSep 20 9:53 PM
- Luke Hughes popped out to second. Runner on third with two outs and Brian Dinkelman due up.
Mariners 2, Twins 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 20 9:46 PM
- Trevor Plouffe struck out swinging to end the inning.
Mariners 2, Twins 3 End 4Sep 20 9:28 PM
- Danny Valencia flied out to right. Runner on second with two outs and Luke Hughes due up.
Mariners 2, Twins 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 20 8:34 PM
- Trevor Plouffe doubled to left scored Ben Revere. Runner on second with none out and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Mariners 2, Twins 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 20 8:27 PM
- Wily Mo Pena grounded out third to first. Runner on second with two outs and Adam Kennedy due up.
Mariners 2, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 20 8:18 PM
- Kyle Seager doubled to right scored Ichiro Suzuki. Runner on second with none out and Dustin Ackley due up.
Mariners 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 20 8:12 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 20 8:11 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21