Rangers AL West champions againSep 24, 2011 - 6:01 AM
The victory, coupled with the Angels' 3-1 home loss to the Oakland Athletics Friday, secured the Rangers back-to-back division crowns for the first time since 1998-99.
"It feels great simply because it's so hard to repeat," said Texas manager Ron Washington.
Matt Harrison (14-9) won his fourth straight start after scattering three hits over six solid innings. The left-hander gave up all three runs in his final frame of work.
Neftali Feliz pitched around a two-out walk in the ninth to earn his 30th save of the season.
Seattle rookie Anthony Vasquez (1-5), a Texas native, surrendered the home runs by Beltre and Gentry as well as a solo blast from Josh Hamilton among seven hits in 3 1/3 innings.
Texas got on the board in the second when Beltre followed Michael Young's leadoff single with a smash to left field. Beltre's 29th home run upped his RBI total this year to 100, the second straight season he reached triple digits.
The Rangers loaded the bases later in the inning, but Vasquez escaped further damage with a double play.
Gentry recorded an inside-the-park home run after Hamilton went deep in the third. Nelson Cruz led off the fourth with a single and Gentry lofted a fly ball that split left fielder Mike Carp and center fielder Trayvon Robinson, who both dove on the play, and rolled on the way to the wall. Gentry raced around the bases for his first major league home run and a 5-0 Texas lead.
The Mariners got three runs in the sixth on an RBI single by Ichiro Suzuki and sacrifice flies from Dustin Ackley and Miguel Olivo.
"When you're playing teams down the stretch that are in it, our guys are going to get better each and everyday just from having those experiences," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge.
The last Ranger to hit an inside-the-park home run was Cruz on September 4, 2006 at Oakland...Texas is 13-4 against Seattle this season.
- SEATTLE: 3
Sep 23 10:48 PM
- Miguel Olivo sacrifice fly out to right scored Ichiro Suzuki with two out. On the play, Trayvon Robinson advanced to third. Runner on third and Mike Carp due up.
Mariners 3, Rangers 5 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 23 9:48 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki single to left scored Alex Liddi with none out. On the play, Chris Gimenez advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Trayvon Robinson due up.
Mariners 1, Rangers 5 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 23 9:41 PM
- Craig Gentry one-out, two-run, inside-the-park Home Run (1) to left center scored Nelson Cruz. Ian Kinsler due up.
Mariners 0, Rangers 5 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 23 9:14 PM
- Josh Hamilton one-out, solo Home Run (25) to center. Michael Young due up.
Mariners 0, Rangers 3 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 23 8:56 PM
- Nelson Cruz singled to left. Runner on first with one out and David Murphy due up.
Mariners 0, Rangers 2 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 23 8:35 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Sep 23 8:14 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21