Tulowitzki's homer helps Rockies top MetsApr 12, 2011 - 5:34 AM
Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez both drove in three for the Rockies, who have won three in a row and improved to 7-2 to start the year. Seth Smith finished 3-for-4 with a double and triple.
Mets reliever Bobby Parnell (0-1) took the mound in the eighth with the game tied, 4-4, but gave up three runs. New York rallied for two runs in the bottom half, but fell short to lose for the fifth time in six games.
Jose Reyes tripled twice to lead the Mets' offense, while David Wright homered.
Both starters gave up four runs. Only two of the runs Colorado's Jason Hammel gave up in six innings were earned, while the Mets' Mike Pelfrey was credited with three earned runs allowed in 5 1/3 frames.
New York got on the board in the first inning, when Daniel Murphy scored before the Rockies could catch Wright in a run-down to complete a double play.
Tulowitzki hit an RBI single in the third, but Reyes led off the bottom half with a triple and scored on Wright's sacrifice fly, making it a 2-1 game.
Reyes' throwing error in the fourth allowed Chris Iannetta to score on a sac fly, but New York forged ahead again in the home half.
Ike Davis and Angel Pagan both reached on errors to start the at-bat, and Willie Harris followed by ripping a double to the right field corner, giving the Mets a 4-2 lead.
Pelfrey got into a jam in the sixth after walking Iannetta with one away. Hammel followed with a base hit before Ryota Igarashi entered to pitch for the Mets. However, Igarashi walked Dexter Fowler to fill the bases, and Gonzalez followed with a game-tying single.
After Matt Belisle (2-0) recorded the final two outs in the bottom of the seventh, Parnell entered at the start of the fateful inning.
Fowler led off with a single, moved to second on a bunt, and advanced to third on a wild pitch before scoring when Gonzalez grounded into a fielder's choice. However, Parnell's errant throw allowed Gonzalez to move to second before Tulowitzki ripped the homer to left, giving Colorado a 7-4 cushion.
"We've been playing some good games. We've been in it until the end," Davis said. "Just one or two little miscues and we lose the ballgame."
The Rockies and reliever Rafael Betancourt needed all of those runs.
Wright led off the Mets' half with a homer to right-center, and Carlos Beltran doubled before crossing the plate on Davis' base hit. However, Betancourt retired the next three hitters in order, and Huston Street worked a 1-2-3 ninth to get his fifth save.
"We did a good job of staying in the ballgame, keeping it close. When we had our chance to take over we did," Tulowitzki said.
Hammel gave up six hits, walked one and struck out three...Pelfrey allowed six hits, walked four and fanned three...Colorado went 3-for-19 with runners in scoring position, stranding 12...The teams split six meetings last year.
- COLORADO: 7
NEW YORK: 6
Apr 11 10:41 PM
- Ike Davis singled to right scoring Carlos Beltran. Runner on first with none out and Angel Pagan due up.
Rockies 7, Mets 6 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 11 10:18 PM
- David Wright lead-off Home Run (2) to right center. Carlos Beltran due up.
Rockies 7, Mets 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 11 10:13 PM
- Ty Wigginton struck out swinging. Runner on first with two outs and Ian Stewart due up.
Rockies 7, Mets 4 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 11 10:05 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez grounded into a fielder's choice scoring Dexter Fowler. On the play, Gonzalez advances to second on Bobby Parnell's throwing error. Runner on second with one out and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 5, Mets 4 Top 8, 1 OutApr 11 10:01 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez singled to left scoring Jason Hammel and Dexter Fowler. Runners on first and second with two outs and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 4, Mets 4 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 11 9:16 PM
- Willie Harris doubled to right scoring Ike Davis and Angel Pagan. Runner on second with none out and Josh Thole due up.
Rockies 2, Mets 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsApr 11 8:41 PM
- Dexter Fowler sacrifice fly out to center scored Chris Iannetta. Runner on second with two outs and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Rockies 2, Mets 2 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 11 8:32 PM
- David Wright sacrifice fly out to right scored Jose Reyes. None on with two outs and Carlos Beltran due up.
Rockies 1, Mets 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 11 8:19 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki singled to right scoring Jonathan Herrera. Runner on first with two outs and Seth Smith due up.
Rockies 1, Mets 1 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 11 8:07 PM
- Carlos Beltran grounded into a double play, first to short scoring Daniel Murphy to end the inning.
Rockies 0, Mets 1 End 1Apr 11 7:34 PM
- COLORADO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 11 7:14 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21