Astros down MetsApr 20, 2011 - 5:01 AM
Rodriguez (1-2) gave up one run on three hits with three walks and seven strikeouts while Michael Bourn and Brett Wallace each had two hits and two runs scored for the Astros, who were coming off a split of a four-game set with San Diego.
"Wandy threw the ball extremely well," Astros manager Brad Mills said of his starter. "He threw all his pitches over the plate."
Carlos Beltran's solo home run accounted for the only run for the Mets, who have lost eight of their last nine. Jon Niese (0-3) gave up two runs on seven hits with five walks over six innings.
Houston struck in the first as Bourn led off with a single, moved to second on a sacrifice bunt then stole third before crossing the plate on a Carlos Lee single.
The fourth inning saw the Astros make it a 2-0 game as Wallace led off with a single and came home on a double from J.R. Towles.
Rodriguez, meanwhile, limited the Mets to just one hit and two walks through the first six frames.
In the seventh, with Sanchez on first, Lee ripped a shot to left that Scott Hairston misplayed and Sanchez crossed the plate for a 3-0 lead.
The Mets finally got on the board in the home seventh when Beltran led the frame off with a line-drive shot over the left-field wall.
Houston, though, padded its lead in the eighth on a bases-loaded balk from Bobby Parnell and a two-run single off the bat of Sanchez for a 6-1 advantage.
"I'm very concerned about [our bullpen]," Mets manager Terry Collins said. "Late in the game we continue to give up big numbers, and that's killing us."
Jeff Fulchino worked around a leadoff double by Ike Davis in the ninth by retiring the final three batters to finish the game.
New York won four of the seven games against Houston last season...Houston batted 4-for-12 with runners in scoring position...Bud Norris is scheduled to take the mound for Houston on Wednesday and should be opposed by R.A. Dickey.
- HOUSTON: 6
NEW YORK: 1
Apr 19 10:10 PM
- Angel Sanchez advances to second on a wild pitch. Runner on second with two outs and Hunter Pence at the plate.
Astros 6, Mets 1 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 19 9:41 PM
- Carlos Beltran lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Ike Davis due up.
Astros 3, Mets 1 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 19 9:06 PM
- Carlos Lee reached first on Scott Hairston's fielding error scoring Angel Sanchez with two out. Runner on second with Chris Johnson due up.
Astros 3, Mets 0 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 19 9:02 PM
- J.R. Towles doubled in Brett Wallace with none out. Runner on second with Wandy Rodriguez due up.
Astros 2, Mets 0 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 19 8:05 PM
- Carlos Lee singled in Michael Bourn with one out. Runners on first with Chris Johnson due up.
Astros 1, Mets 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 19 7:18 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 19 7:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21