Huff's homer in the 10th pushes Giants past MetsMay 4, 2011 - 5:54 AM
"Hopefully scoring that many runs today gets us going offensively," said Huff.
San Francisco used three intentional walks to skate throw jams in the eighth and ninth frames then Brian Wilson navigated a two-out Jose Reyes single in the 10th with his ninth save of the season. Javier Lopez (1-0) picked up the victory with 1 1/3 scoreless frames, while Mike Fontenot drove in a pair of runs for the Giants, who had lost eight of 11 coming in.
Taylor Buchholz (1-1) suffered the loss, giving up Huff's solo shot. Reyes was on base six times -- a double, two singles and three walks. Carlos Beltran hit a three-run homer and Ike Davis clubbed a two-run shot for the Mets, who have dropped three of four.
"This isn't the way you want to lose the game," said Buchholz.
Ryan Vogelsong gave up five runs on five hits with four walks in just four frames for the Giants, while R.A. Dickey was hit for six runs on seven hits in six frames for New York.
David Wright led off the ninth with a double and Beltran was intentionally walked for Davis, who grounded into what should have been a tailor-made double play, but Emmanuel Burriss couldn't cleanly handle the hop and only recovered to nab Davis at first. Another intentional walk to Willie Harris put a force out at any base, and Josh Thole hit a slow roller into a 1-2-3 double play to send the game into extra innings.
The Mets greeted Vogelsong with instant offense in the first. Reyes doubled past Nate Schierholtz in right then Daniel Murphy walked to set the table. After Wright flied out to left, Beltran hooked a low-and-in pitch tight to the right-field line and into the seats for a three-run home run.
San Francisco, searching for offense as of late, surged back in a big way to take the lead in the third. Cody Ross worked a walk and Burriss singled in front of Vogelsong, who caught the Mets by surprise with a single to center when a bunt could have moved both runners. Ross scored on the play and then Burriss scored one batter later on Aaron Rowand's run-scoring single to center.
A groundout moved the runners and Fontenot stayed back on a knuckleball, slapping it into center to plate both runners for a 4-3 game.
In the bottom of the frame, Wright walked and trotted the rest of the way home on Davis' sixth home run of the season, a long drive into the bullpens in right-center field.
Schierholtz singled to start the fourth, stole second and advanced to third on Thole's throwing error and eventually scored the tying run on Burriss' ground out. The right fielder clubbed a go-ahead homer in the top of the fifth.
Reyes came through in the home sixth, breaking his bat but looping a run- scoring single into center to tie the game at 6-6. The Mets threatened in the eighth with two runners on base and two out, but Javier got Murphy to hit a grounder to third.
The Giants and Mets have split their last eight meetings...Thole finished 3- for-5...Schierholtz collected two hits, including the sixth-inning solo shot, and scored twice...Reyes clubbed his 10th double of the season and drove in his eighth run...Davis now has six home runs and 22 runs batted in.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 7
NEW YORK: 6
May 3 10:45 PM
- Aubrey Huff lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Nate Schierholtz due up.
Giants 7, Mets 6 Top 10, 0 OutsMay 3 10:27 PM
- Jose Reyes singled to center scoring Jason Pridie. Runner on first with one out and Daniel Murphy due up.
Giants 6, Mets 6 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 3 9:07 PM
- Cody Ross flied out to left. None on with two outs and Emmanuel Burriss due up.
Giants 6, Mets 5 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 3 8:57 PM
- Emmanuel Burriss grounded out to pitcher scoring Nate Schierholtz. Runner on second with one out and Ryan Vogelsong due up.
Giants 5, Mets 5 Top 4, 1 OutMay 3 8:21 PM
- Ike Davis one-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right center scored David Wright. Lucas Duda due up.
Giants 4, Mets 5 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 3 8:10 PM
- Mike Fontenot singled to center scoring Ryan Vogelsong and Aaron Rowand. Runner on first with one out and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 4, Mets 3 Top 3, 1 OutMay 3 8:00 PM
- Aaron Rowand singled to center scoring Emmanuel Burriss. Runners on first and second with none out and Miguel Tejada due up.
Giants 2, Mets 3 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 3 7:57 PM
- Ryan Vogelsong singled to center scoring Cody Ross. Runners on first and third with none out and Aaron Rowand due up.
Giants 1, Mets 3 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 3 7:57 PM
- Carlos Beltran one-out, three-run Home Run (4) to right scored Jose Reyes and Daniel Murphy. Ike Davis due up.
Giants 0, Mets 3 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 3 7:26 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 3 7:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22