Lincecum's 12 Ks power GiantsMay 5, 2011 - 5:01 AM
Lincecum (3-3) allowed five hits and walked three, but held New York off the scoreboard and snapped a two-start losing streak.
Aubrey Huff went 3-for-4 with a double, while Mike Fontenot and Pat Burrell drove in runs for San Francisco, which has won the first two in this three- game series.
Chris Capuano (2-3) got the loss despite allowing just two runs in 6 1/3 innings. The left-hander gave up eight hits and walked three in the Mets' fourth loss in five games.
"A game like tonight, we had them on the ropes a couple of times but he [Lincecum] stepped up in those situations too. He [Lincecum] seemed to get stronger as the game went on, so you tip your hat," Capuano said of Lincecum's performance.
After five scoreless innings, San Francisco got on the board. Fontenot led off with a walk, and one out later Huff singled to right. Burrell followed with a base hit to left before Capuano got out of the inning.
Aaron Rowand then began the top of the seventh with a double and came around to score on Fontenot's one-out single. Ryota Igarashi relieved Capuano and held the Giants scoreless for 1 2/3 innings, but Lincecum made the lead hold despite several jams.
New York had two on with two outs in the first before Lincecum fanned Ike Davis, and failed to score after having two on with only one out in the fourth.
The Mets' best chance to score off Lincecum came in the sixth, which Carlos Beltran opened with a double before Davis singled. However, Lincecum retired Ronny Paulino on a foul out, and struck out Willie Harris and Jason Pridie.
The Giants used three relievers in the eighth, and Brian Wilson worked a 1-2-3 ninth for his 10th save.
"It's been wild. It's been a tough time here, but we bounced back very well after a very tough series in Washington," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said of their recent road trip.
The Giants left 11 on base, while the Mets stranded nine...Beltran and Paulino both had two hits for New York...Lincecum has struck out 57 batters in seven starts this season.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 2
NEW YORK: 0
May 4 10:12 PM
- Ryota Igarashi enters the game for the Mets with a runner on first with one out, batting 7th.
Giants 2, Mets 0 Top 7, 1 OutMay 4 9:18 PM
- Pat Burrell single to left scored Mike Fontenot with one out. On the play, Aubrey Huff advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nate Schierholtz due up.
Giants 1, Mets 0 Top 6, 1 OutMay 4 8:49 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 4 7:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22