Ethier's streak reaches 30 in Dodgers' loss to MetsMay 7, 2011 - 5:34 AM Flushing, NY (Sports Network) - Jason Pridie put the Mets in front with a three-run homer off Hiroki Kuroda in the sixth inning, and New York held on for a 6-3 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the opener of a three-game set.
Despite their fifth loss in six games, the Dodgers did have a bright spot as Andre Ethier extended his hitting streak to 30 games. Ethier, who has been dealing with elbow inflammation, went 3-for-5 to move within one game of Willie Davis' club record.
"It's neat, but it's not helping snap this little skid we're on," Ethier said of the streak. "It's a nice personal thing, but besides that we need to start figuring out ways to get this thing going."
The Mets earned back-to-back wins behind Pridie's blast, as well as three extra-base hits from Jose Reyes.
Ryota Igarashi (2-0) got the win in relief behind Jon Niese, who gave up three runs on seven hits and three walks over 5 2/3 innings.
Kuroda (3-3) was staked to a 3-2 lead on Juan Uribe's RBI groundout in the fifth inning.
But with a runner on second and two outs in the sixth, Kuroda opted to intentionally walk Ike Davis, who homered off him earlier in the game.
The decision turned sour when Pridie, playing in his 13th game of the season as an injury replacement for Angel Pagan, took the second pitch he saw into the right-field sets.
"I'm not insulted. When you have Ike Davis at the plate and you have Jason Pridie behind him, odds are you're going to want to pitch to Jason Pridie," Pridie joked.
The Mets added an insurance run in the seventh, as Jason Bay singled through the left side of the infield to bring in Reyes, who led off the inning with a walk and stole second.
New York's bullpen did the rest, with Taylor Buchholz, Jason Isringhausen and Francisco Rodriguez each hurling a scoreless inning. Rodriguez posted his eighth save of the season.
Ethier wasted little time extending his hitting streak, as he lined a 3-0 fastball into center field in the first inning. The single moved Jerry Sands to third, and Matt Kemp's base hit to right scored Sands for a 1-0 lead.
Reyes tripled leading off the bottom half and raced home on Carlos Beltran's sacrifice fly.
Leadoff home runs from Rod Barajas and Davis in the second frame kept things tied.
Ethier has nine hits in his first at-bat during the streak. Washington's Ryan Zimmerman was the last player to have a 30-game hitting streak, doing so from April 8-May 12, 2009...The Mets are 9-3 when Bay plays this season and 5-15 when he does not...The Dodgers acquired Barajas off waivers from the Mets last August...Kuroda's pitching line was five runs allowed on seven hits and three walks in 5 2/3 innings...The Dodgers went 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position...Before the game, LA placed reliever Jonathan Broxton on the 15-day disabled list and recalled pitcher Kenley Jansen from Double-A Chattanooga.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
NEW YORK: 6
May 6 10:30 PM
- Jason Bay single to left scored Jose Reyes with two out. On the play, Carlos Beltran advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Ike Davis due up.
Dodgers 3, Mets 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 6 9:56 PM
- Jason Pridie two-out, three-run Home Run (3) to right scored Carlos Beltran and Ike Davis. Josh Thole due up.
Dodgers 3, Mets 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 6 9:14 PM
- Juan Uribe groundout to short scored Jamey Carroll with two out. On the play, Matt Kemp advances to second and Andre Ethier advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and James Loney due up.
Dodgers 3, Mets 2 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 6 8:35 PM
- Ike Davis lead-off Home Run (7) to right. Jason Pridie due up.
Dodgers 2, Mets 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 6 7:49 PM
- Rod Barajas lead-off Home Run (6) to left. Aaron Miles due up.
Dodgers 2, Mets 1 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 6 7:40 PM
- Carlos Beltran sacrifice fly to left scored Jose Reyes with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Jason Bay due up.
Dodgers 1, Mets 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 6 7:36 PM
- Matt Kemp single to right scored Jerry Sands with one out. On the play, Andre Ethier advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 1, Mets 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 6 7:21 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 6 7:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22