Turner lifts Mets over DodgersMay 8, 2011 - 2:49 AM Flushing, NY (Sports Network) - Justin Turner hit a pinch-hit, two-run double in the eighth inning to lift the Mets over the Dodgers, 4-2.
Not only did the Dodgers lose for the sixth time in seven games, but Andre Ethier went 0-for-4 with a walk, snapping his hitting streak at 30 games, just one shy of the franchise record.
Dillon Gee, in an emergency start after the Mets scratched Chris Young, played a part in halting the streak as he allowed just two runs on seven hits and three walks in 5 1/3 innings.
Jason Pridie had three hits and two runs scored and Jose Reyes went 2-for-5 with an RBI in the win, New York's third straight.
Mike MacDougal (0-1) took the loss behind Jon Garland, who went six innings and gave up two runs on seven hits and three walks for Los Angeles.
Mets reliever Ryota Igarashi stranded the bases loaded in the seventh and Tim Byrdak (1-0) hurled a scoreless eighth to keep the score tied, 2-2.
MacDougal walked Jason Bay leading off the eighth and was promptly pulled for Hong-Chih Kuo, whose throwing error on a Pridie sacrifice bunt put runners on first and second with one out.
Pinch-hitter Ronny Paulino worked a walk to load the bases for Turner, who stroked a line drive to center field. Matt Kemp was within range of making the catch, but the ball hit off the top of his glove to bring in the go-ahead runs.
Francisco Rodriguez hurled a 1-2-3 ninth for his third save in as many games and ninth this season.
The Dodgers left the bases loaded in both the first and second innings, and the Mets pushed two across in their second at-bat for the early lead.
Ike Davis walked and eventually scored on Josh Thole's sacrifice fly, and Reyes singled in Pridie later in the frame.
Dioner Navarro led off the away fourth with a home run to right, and Aaron Miles' RBI single two innings later tied things.
The Mets will go for the three-game sweep on Sunday with R.A. Dickey throwing against Clayton Kershaw...The last four players to hit safely in 30 straight games have had their streak snapped in the next contest...Willie Davis has the Dodgers club mark of 31 straight games with a hit...LA went 1-for-13 with runners in scoring position, stranding 14...Young was scratched after failing to get loose during his bullpen season. He was scheduled to make his third start since returning from the disabled list due to biceps tendinitis...The Mets are 10-3 when Bay plays this season and 5-15 when he does not...Actor and comedian Jerry Stiller sang Take Me Out to the Ball Game during the seventh- inning stretch.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
NEW YORK: 4
May 7 10:25 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Justin Turner singled to center scored Jason Bay and Jason Pridie. On the play, Ronny Paulino advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jose Reyes due up.
Dodgers 2, Mets 4 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 7 10:18 PM
- Aaron Miles singled to center scored Jamey Carroll. Runner on first with one out and James Loney due up.
Dodgers 2, Mets 2 Top 6, 1 OutMay 7 8:53 PM
- Dioner Navarro lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Jamey Carroll due up.
Dodgers 1, Mets 2 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 7 8:12 PM
- Jose Reyes singled to center scored Jason Pridie. Runner on first with two outs and Daniel Murphy due up.
Dodgers 0, Mets 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 7 7:57 PM
- Josh Thole sacrifice fly out to left scored Ike Davis. On the play, Jason Pridie advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Dillon Gee due up.
Dodgers 0, Mets 1 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 7 7:56 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 7 7:24 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22