Mets dump Astros behind Turner's five RBIMay 15, 2011 - 10:16 PM
Jason Pridie added a run-scoring single and stole home for the Mets, who have taken three straight series and have won seven of 10 games overall.
"He loves to play. Here's his chance. He has his opportunity and he's making the most of it," Mets manager Terry Collins said about Turner.
Chris Capuano (3-4) tossed five effective innings to pick up the win and snap a three-start losing streak. The left-hander yielded six hits, two runs, struck out six and walked three. Francisco Rodriguez locked the game down with a perfect ninth to earn his 12th save of the season.
Clint Barmes had a solo homer, while Jason Michaels doubled twice and drove in a run for Houston, which has dropped eight of its last 11 contests.
Aneury Rodriguez (0-2), making his third big-league start, was touched for seven runs -- five earned -- on five hits with four walks and a pair of strikeouts in five-plus frames.
Chris Johnson's RBI single in the second and Michaels' run-scoring double off the center-field fence in the fourth gave Houston the early lead, before the Mets answered with four in the fifth.
Jason Bay reached on an error leading off and Daniel Murphy singled for New York's first hit of the game. Turner then brought in both with a double down the left-field line and Pridie followed with an RBI single.
Later in the inning, with runners on the corners and two away, Jose Reyes stole second base and as J.R. Towles' throw went down to second, Pridie swiped home to put the Mets in front 4-2.
Bay singled and Murphy walked to start the sixth and both came around to score on Turner's blast to left -- his first career homer. Barmes got one back for Houston in the home half on a solo shot to make it 7-3.
Downs' RBI double to center in the eighth off Jason Isringhausen drew the Astros a run closer, but it could have been more. With runners still on second and third, and one out, the veteran right-hander beared down to retire Michael Bourn on a pop up and Towles on a fly ball.
Francisco Rodriguez worked a 1-2-3 inning in the ninth to close out the victory.
Houston took two of three when these teams met at Citi Field in late April...Capuano improved to 6-4 in 14 lifetime games -- 11 starts -- against the Astros...Houston stranded 10 runners on base, while New York left only three.
- NEW YORK: 7
May 15 5:28 PM
- Michael Bourn popped out to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and J.R. Towles due up.
Mets 7, Astros 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 15 5:10 PM
- Clint Barmes two-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Enerio Del Rosario due up.
Mets 7, Astros 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 15 4:21 PM
- Justin Turner none-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Jason Bay and Daniel Murphy. Jason Pridie due up.
Mets 7, Astros 2 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 15 4:04 PM
- Jason Pridie steals home with two outs. On the play, Jose Reyes stole second. Runner on second and David Wright at the plate.
Mets 4, Astros 2 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 15 3:43 PM
- Chris Capuano sacrifice bunt to pitcher. On the play, Jason Pridie advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Jose Reyes due up.
Mets 3, Astros 2 Top 5, 1 OutMay 15 3:37 PM
- Justin Turner doubled to left scored Jason Bay and Daniel Murphy with none out. Runner on third and Jason Pridie due up.
Mets 2, Astros 2 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 15 3:34 PM
- Jason Michaels doubled to center scored Bill Hall with none out. Runner on second and Chris Johnson due up.
Mets 0, Astros 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 15 3:12 PM
- Chris Johnson singled to center scored Bill Hall with one out. Runner on first and Clint Barmes due up.
Mets 0, Astros 1 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 15 2:35 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 15 2:08 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21