Capuano helps Mets shutout PiratesJun 12, 2011 - 11:35 PM
Capuano (5-6) scattered three hits and two walks while fanning five as the Mets were victorious for the seventh time in 10 games.
Kevin Correia (8-5) allowed four runs on seven hits in 7 2/3 innings for the loss, the third in four games for the Pirates.
Correia was perfect through four innings before allowing a two-out single to Jason Bay in the fifth.
"They hit their spots. Two different type pitchers that stayed away from the barrel, kept the ball down and had a lot of miss-hits of the bat. It was well played until the end," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said about the pitchers.
New York broke through in the seventh inning after Daniel Murphy singled, advanced to third on a single by Angel Pagan and scored on a sacrifice fly by Jason Bay to give the Mets a 1-0 lead.
That run would be all the Mets would need behind Capuano, but they added some insurance in the eighth on an RBI double by Justin Turner that ended Correia's day. Pinch-hitter Willie Harris singled with two outs and was followed by a Jose Reyes base-hit before Turner smacked a ball off the right-field wall to bring in Harris.
Chris Resop took the mound next and Carlos Beltran hit the first pitch Resop threw into right for a single, allowing Reyes and Turner to score.
Daniel Moskos then replaced Resop and after a Daniel Murphy single, Pagan singled in Jason Pridie, who was pinch-running for Beltran, to give New York a five-run advantage.
Back-to-back two-out homers by pinch hitter Scott Hairston and Reyes in the ninth completed the rout.
"By this point in my career I've never been hitting over .240, so right now I have a routine and I've been consistent with everything. Hopefully I can continue with the same routine," Reyes said about his recent success.
Pittsburgh never had a runner touch third in the game but had runners on second in the fourth, fifth and ninth innings. Each time they failed to get the clutch hit they needed and ended the day 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position and left seven men on base.
Pirates manager Clint Hurdle was ejected from the game in the seventh inning after arguing an out call in center field. Lyle Overbay led off the inning with a deep fly ball to dead center and Pagan made a leaping catch at the wall. Replays showed the ball may have bounced off the wall before entering Pagan's glove, but after the umpires got together, they decided the catch was good.
The Mets recalled pitcher D.J. Carrasco from Buffalo and optioned pitcher Dale Thayer to Buffalo on Sunday...Andrew McCutchen extended his hit streak to 11 games...Pittsburgh fell to 9-6 in games Correia has pitched...Reyes has a major league leading 33 multi-hit games.
- NEW YORK: 7
Jun 12 4:19 PM
- Andrew McCutchen singled to center. Runner on first with none out and Neil Walker due up.
Mets 7, Pirates 0 Bot 9, 0 OutsJun 12 4:10 PM
- Pinch-hitter Scott Hairston two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Jose Reyes is due up.
Mets 6, Pirates 0 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 12 4:04 PM
- Angel Pagan singled to left scoring Jason Pridie. On the play, Daniel Murphy advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jason Bay due up.
Mets 5, Pirates 0 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 12 3:49 PM
- Carlos Beltran singled to right scoring Jose Reyes and Justin Turner. Runner on first with two outs and Daniel Murphy due up.
Mets 4, Pirates 0 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 12 3:43 PM
- Justin Turner doubled to right scoring Willie Harris. On the play, Jose Reyes advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Carlos Beltran due up.
Mets 2, Pirates 0 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 12 3:38 PM
- Jason Bay's sacrifice fly to center scored Daniel Murphy. On the play, Angel Pagan was called out at second for not retouching second to end the inning.
Mets 1, Pirates 0 Mid 7Jun 12 3:21 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 12 1:36 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21