Yankees top Mets for sixth straight winJul 2, 2011 - 4:58 AM
Eduardo Nunez collected four hits, including a run-scoring single in the eighth, for the Yankees, who extended their winning streak to a season-best six games.
"The Mets have been playing really well, we've been playing well. So it was the immovable object versus the unstoppable force tonight," Teixeira said. "Something had to give. We got off to that early lead, which was big."
Teixeira lined a two-run double into the right-field corner, giving the Yankees a 2-0 lead before Mets starter Jon Niese (7-7) recorded an out. After Alex Rodriguez grounded out, Robinson Cano doubled home Teixeira.
Niese allowed only five more hits through his six innings of work, while Ruben Tejada put the Mets on the board with an RBI single in the second.
The Mets loaded the bases in the fifth after the first two batters were retired, but Yankees starter Ivan Nova (8-4) struck out Angel Pagan to end the threat.
Nova was removed for a pinch-hitter when the visitors loaded the bases in the sixth. Niese struck out Jorge Posada and Nick Swisher grounded out to third to end the inning.
Six Yankees relievers combined to keep the Mets off the board the rest of the way.
There was a controversial call in the bottom of the seventh. Jose Reyes singled to begin the frame and advanced to second on a fly ball to center field. Reyes tried to take third when the shortstop Nunez mishandled the relay throw from Curtis Granderson, but he was tagged out on a close play. Mets manager Terry Collins argued the call and was subsequently ejected.
"You act on your instincts, and his instincts said he should go to third," Collins said. "Sometimes you can't corral a guy who plays like that. I had no problem with it."
With the Yankees leading 4-1, Rodriguez added an RBI double in the ninth.
The Yankees improved to 12-4 against the National League this season...Nova gave up seven hits over five frames...Niese recorded seven strikeouts...The Yankees finished 4-for-19 with runners in scoring position...Reyes was 2-for-5 now leads the majors with 43 multi-hit games this year...The Mets dropped two of three to the Yankees from May 20-22.
- NEW YORK: 5
NEW YORK: 1
Jul 1 10:27 PM
- Alex Rodriguez double to center scored Curtis Granderson with one out. Runner on second with one out and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 5, Mets 1 Top 9, 1 OutJul 1 10:08 PM
- Nick Swisher struck out swinging to end the inning.
Yankees 4, Mets 1 Mid 8Jul 1 9:54 PM
- Ruben Tejada single to center scored Jason Bay with one out. On the play, Ronny Paulino advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jon Niese due up.
Yankees 3, Mets 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 1 7:47 PM
- Robinson Cano double to left scored Mark Teixeira with one out. Runner on second with one out and Russell Martin due up.
Yankees 3, Mets 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 1 7:20 PM
- Mark Teixeira double to right scored Nick Swisher and Curtis Granderson with none out. Runner on second with none out and Alex Rodriguez due up.
Yankees 2, Mets 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 1 7:15 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 1 7:10 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22