Bay, Mets beat Yankees in extras to avoid sweepJul 4, 2011 - 12:33 AM
"They just play, they play until the game's over...they take the blows and bounce back," said Mets manager Terry Collins of his club. "They're fun to be around because they don't let stuff get to them."
The hit made a winner of Francisco Rodriguez (2-2), who allowed three hits over two scoreless relief innings.
Luis Ayala (1-2) was charged with the loss, after issuing a leadoff walk to pinch-hitter Scott Hairston to begin the deciding frame.
Angel Pagan then sacrificed Hairston to second and Justin Turner was hit by a pitch to put runners on first and second. Boone Logan entered and fanned Carlos Beltran swinging, but Ramiro Pena's fielding error on a Daniel Murphy grounder loaded the bases.
Hector Noesi was summoned, only to serve up Bay's game-winning hit, a line shot to center which plated Hairston.
Murphy posted three hits and an RBI and Bay added two hits with a run scored as the Mets avoided a sweep in the set. Starter R.A. Dickey allowed one run on two hits with three strikeouts and two walks over five innings.
Curtis Granderson and Nick Swisher knocked in a run each as the Yankees had their seven-game win streak snapped. Freddy Garcia worked seven full frames in the start, yielding six hits and one run.
The Mets picked up a run in the first as Beltran doubled with two down and scored on a Murphy single.
Robinson Cano's leadoff double in the fifth was the Yanks' first hit of the game, then Swisher followed with an RBI single, but the Yanks failed to pick up more runs later in the frame as Granderson grounded out with the sacks full.
Brett Gardner tripled to start the eighth and scored on Granderson's fly to left but the Mets couldn't even the score despite putting two on in the home portion.
Mariano Rivera gave up the tying single to pinch-hitter Ronny Paulino with two down in the ninth, but was rescued from a loss by his defense. Ruben Tejada managed to hit a ball through Pena's legs at shortstop, but a charging Gardner was able to throw Lucas Duda out at the plate by a wide margin.
"Things just didn't work out our way today," Gardner said. "We've been playing pretty good baseball, so we can't let what happened in the ninth with two outs change the way we feel about our play in the last couple weeks."
The Yankees ended the 2011 Subway Series by winning four of the six matchups...Rivera's fourth blown save this season is just one off his 2010 total...Mets shortstop Jose Reyes, who did not play on Sunday due to a hamstring injury, was named a starter for the All-Star Game on July 12, and outfielder Beltran was selected as a reserve...Coming into the contest, the Yankees sported an MLB-best 24-4 mark in day games this season...The Bronx Bombers were unable to snag a victory on the 44th birthday of general manager Brian Cashman...Yankees second baseman Cano, shortstop Derek Jeter and third baseman Alex Rodriguez were all named AL All-Star starters, as was Granderson, while Rivera was taken as a reliever...Prior to the game, the Yankees optioned pitcher Ivan Nova to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre...The game was delayed for 1:29 at the outset due to rain.
- NEW YORK: 2
NEW YORK: 3
Jul 3 6:06 PM
- Jason Bay singled to center scoring Scott Hairston with two outs to end the game.
Yankees 2, Mets 3 Bot 10, 2 OutsJul 3 6:06 PM
- Pinch-hitter Ronny Paulino singled to right scoring Jason Bay. On the play, Lucas Duda advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Ruben Tejada due up.
Yankees 2, Mets 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 3 5:32 PM
- Mark Teixeira doubled to right. Runner on second with one out and Alex Rodriguez due up.
Yankees 2, Mets 1 Top 8, 1 OutJul 3 4:49 PM
- Nick Swisher singled to center scoring Robinson Cano. Runner on first with none out and Russell Martin due up.
Yankees 1, Mets 1 Top 5, 0 OutsJul 3 3:51 PM
- Daniel Murphy singled to left scoring Carlos Beltran. Runner on second with two outs as Murphy advanced on the throw to home and Jason Bay due up.
Yankees 0, Mets 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 3 2:54 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 3 2:39 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22