Stanton's slam lifts Marlins over Mets in 10thAug 2, 2011 - 5:41 AM
Florida used three straight singles from Gaby Sanchez, Hanley Ramirez and DeWayne Wise to load the bases, and Stanton cracked a 3-2 cutter from Jason Isringhausen over the left field wall for his second career grand slam.
"I was just trying to make sure I put the ball in play," Stanton said. "With a guy on third and less than two out, you have to put the ball in play, especially in that situation."
Omar Infante collected three hits, including a triple, and Sanchez added a pair of RBI for the Marlins, who have won seven of their last nine games.
Leo Nunez (1-2) gave up the lead in the ninth, but picked up the win courtesy of Stanton's moonshot. He also absorbed his fourth blown save of the season.
Isringhausen (2-1) was tagged with the loss for the Mets, who have lost three consecutive games.
"When I made good pitches I got people out, when I made bad pitches I didn't," Isringhausen said of his rough outing. "It was just one of those nights."
Lucas Duda and Jason Bay smacked home runs for New York.
New York knotted the game at three in the bottom of the ninth. Trailing by two, Angel Pagan smacked a one-out double to right and, after a Bay groundout, Duda blasted a Nunez offering deep into the seats in center field.
Earlier, Florida jumped out to an early lead with a run in its first at-bat. Infante ripped a one-out triple to left and scored on a sacrifice fly by Sanchez.
New York threatened in the bottom of the first when Daniel Murphy slapped a one-out single and David Wright drew a walk to put runners on first and second with two men down. Pagan grounded into a fielder's choice to end the inning.
The Marlins extended their lead to 2-0 in the third inning. Emilio Bonifacio slapped a two-out single, and Infante followed with one of his own to give the Marlins runners on the corners. Sanchez came through with a single up the middle to score Bonifacio.
Logan Morrison ripped a single to center to lead off the Marlins' fourth and advanced to third on Wright's throwing error. Bryan Petersen then lofted a sacrifice fly to center to score Morrison for a 3-0 Florida advantage.
The Mets clawed back with a run in the bottom of the fourth on Bay's solo shot to right-center, the deepest part of the park, to make it a 3-1 game.
The Mets had a chance to cut into the lead in the fifth when Jose Reyes smacked a one-out double to right. Justin Turner followed with a single to right and Reyes was waived home from second but was cut down at the plate on a perfect throw by Stanton in right field.
New York finished the month of July with a 14-13 record. It was the Mets' third consecutive winning month...Florida leads the season series with New York by a 6-3 count...The Marlins are 20-22 against the NL East, while the Mets are 18-23 against intra-division opposition...Bay's home run in the fourth inning was his seventh of the season...Stanton has eight outfield assists this season, fourth most in the National League...Wright had his 10- game hitting streak snapped...Duda's home run was his third of the season and his first at Citi Field this season.
- FLORIDA: 7
NEW YORK: 3
Aug 1 10:25 PM
- Mike Stanton one-out, Grand Slam (25) to left scored Gaby Sanchez, Hanley Ramirez and DeWayne Wise. Bryan Petersen due up.
Marlins 7, Mets 3 Top 10, 1 OutAug 1 10:14 PM
- Lucas Duda two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to center scored Angel Pagan. Ronny Paulino due up.
Marlins 3, Mets 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsAug 1 9:57 PM
- Lucas Duda grounded out short to first. None on with two outs and Ronny Paulino due up.
Marlins 3, Mets 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 1 8:28 PM
- Bryan Petersen sacrifice fly to center scored Logan Morrison with one out. Runner on second with one out and John Buck due up.
Marlins 3, Mets 0 Top 4, 1 OutAug 1 8:17 PM
- Gaby Sanchez single to center scored Emilio Bonifacio with two out. On the play, Omar Infante advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Marlins 2, Mets 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 1 7:54 PM
- Gaby Sanchez sacrifice fly to right scored Omar Infante with two out. None on with two outs and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Marlins 1, Mets 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 1 7:16 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 1 7:13 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21