Padres post easy win over MetsAug 17, 2011 - 6:53 AM
Nick Hundley, Alberto Gonzalez and Aaron Cunningham each knocked in a run for the Padres, who had lost three of four coming into Tuesday's game.
"Some guys are being given an opportunity to play and get more at-bats. They're taking advantage of that," Padres manager Bud Black said.
Luebke (5-6) gave up one run on three hits to pick up the win. He struck out five and walked three. Chad Qualls, Luke Gregerson and Erik Hamren each tossed a scoreless inning of relief.
Ruben Tejada had two hits and an RBI for the Mets, who were unable to build off Monday's 5-4, 10-inning victory.
Jonathon Niese (11-10) allowed three runs on 10 hits over six innings to take the loss.
"They hit them where we weren't," Niese explained.
The Padres scored all the runs they needed in the first inning. With one out, Logan Forsythe hit a ground-rule double to center. After Jesus Guzman struck out looking, Kyle Blanks reached base on an infield single. Hudson and Hundley followed with consecutive RBI singles for a 2-0 lead.
New York recorded its first hit of the game in the fourth. With a man on first and two outs, Ronny Paulino singled to right. Tejada followed with an RBI double down the third-base line, as the ball bounced off third base and into left field. Niese struck out swinging to strand runners on second and third.
San Diego got the run back in the home fourth. Hundley led off with a triple down the right-field line and scored on Cunningham's sacrifice fly for a 3-1 edge.
The Padres added two runs in the seventh off Pedro Beato. Maybin led off the frame with a homer to left, while Guzman hit a one-out double to left and raced home on Hudson's base hit to center for a 5-1 lead.
Gonzalez hit an RBI single off Mike Pelfrey in the eighth to make it 6-1.
New York and San Diego have split six games this season...The Mets are 4-12 in their last 16 contests and 13-18 since the All-Star break...Mets center fielder Angel Pagan saw a nine-game hitting streak come to an end...The Padres went 5-for-11 with runners in scoring position and stranded seven, while New York went 1-for-4 with RISP and left five men on...Hundley collected a career- high two triples which ties the most triples ever in a game by a Padre. He is the 14th Padre to triple twice in a game.
- NEW YORK: 1
SAN DIEGO: 6
Aug 17 12:37 AM
- Alberto Gonzalez single to right scored Nick Hundley with one out. Runner on first and Will Venable due up.
Mets 1, Padres 6 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 17 12:25 AM
- Orlando Hudson single to center scored Jesus Guzman with two out. Runner on first and Nick Hundley due up.
Mets 1, Padres 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 17 12:07 AM
- Cameron Maybin lead-off Home Run (8) to left. Logan Forsythe due up.
Mets 1, Padres 4 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 17 12:00 AM
- Alberto Gonzalez grounded out pitcher to first. None on with two outs and Cory Luebke due up.
Mets 1, Padres 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 16 11:19 PM
- Ruben Tejada double to left scored Scott Hairston with two out. On the play, Ronny Paulino advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jon Niese due up.
Mets 1, Padres 2 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 16 11:10 PM
- Nick Hundley single to center scored Kyle Blanks with two out. On the play, Orlando Hudson advances to second. Runners on first and second and Aaron Cunningham due up.
Mets 0, Padres 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 16 10:27 PM
- Orlando Hudson single to right scored Logan Forsythe with two out. On the play, Kyle Blanks advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nick Hundley due up.
Mets 0, Padres 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 16 10:27 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 16 10:05 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22