Mets edge Marlins in DH openerAug 29, 2011 - 11:33 PM
Dickey (6-11) allowed seven hits and a walk while striking out six to pick up his first win since July 25. He hadn't allowed any more than three earned runs in five outings since then, but didn't pick up a victory.
Justin Turner singled in a run for the Mets, who have won three in a row.
Anibal Sanchez (7-7) gave up two runs in six innings to take the loss, Florida's eighth in its last 10 games.
The Mets picked up two early runs to give Dickey a lead.
In the second inning, Nick Evans led off with a single and moved up a base on Josh Thole's walk before Turner's ground single through the left side brought him home.
An inning later, a Duda single, Jason Bay walk and Evans hit loaded the bases. Thole grounded into a fielder's choice to make it a 2-0 game, but Sanchez got out of the inning without further damage.
However, the Marlins didn't have many good offensive opportunities against Dickey. They put runners in scoring position in the sixth, when Logan Morrison doubled and Mike Stanton singled. However, Dickey retired Greg Dobbs on a liner and ended the threat with a Gaby Sanchez fly out.
Dickey picked off Mike Cameron at second base to escape a jam in the seventh, and the Mets bullpen managed to hold on to the lead.
After Jason Isringhausen struck out the side in the eighth, Bobby Parnell allowed a one-out solo homer to Gaby Sanchez in the ninth. But Parnell retired the next two batters to secure the win and record his second save.
The Mets were 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position...Sanchez allowed seven hits and walked four during his start...Mets shortstop Jose Reyes was activated from the 15-day disabled list for Monday's second game. He had been out since suffering a strained left hamstring in an August 7 game against the Braves. The Mets optioned outfielder Mike Baxter to Triple-A Buffalo to open a roster spot...The Marlins had won their first four games at Citi Field this season.
- FLORIDA: 1
NEW YORK: 2
Aug 29 6:54 PM
- Gaby Sanchez one-out, solo Home Run (17) to center. Mike Cameron due up.
Marlins 1, Mets 2 Top 9, 1 OutAug 29 6:53 PM
- Josh Thole grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short scored Lucas Duda. Nick Evans out at second. Jason Bay advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Justin Turner due up.
Marlins 0, Mets 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 29 5:09 PM
- Justin Turner single to left scored Nick Evans. On the play, Josh Thole advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and R.A. Dickey due up.
Marlins 0, Mets 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 29 4:41 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 29 4:09 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21