Duda drives in go-ahead run, Mets edge MarlinsSep 1, 2011 - 5:21 AM
David Wright and Jose Reyes both posted two hits and a run scored in New York's fifth win in six games.
Manny Acosta (2-1) earned the win with a scoreless inning of relief. Chris Capuano started the game and allowed two runs on seven hits and two walks through five innings.
Bobby Parnell put the game-tying run in scoring position in the ninth, but closed out the game to earn his third save of the year.
"As maligned as our bullpen has been lately, to get four shutout innings out of our bullpen was a huge outing for us," Mets manager Terry Collins said.
Chris Volstad (5-12) went 6 1/3 innings, allowing three runs -- two earned -- on seven hits and two walks to take his fourth straight loss.
"That's two good outings, but he's got two Ls," Marlins manager Jack McKeon said.
Jose Lopez knocked in both of Florida's runs as the Marlins finished the month of August with a 7-20 record.
Greg Dobbs hit Parnell's first pitch of the ninth into right field for a single. Alfredo Amezaga came in as a pinch runner and moved to second on Emilio Bonifacio's sacrifice bunt, putting the game-tying run in scoring position. But Wright made a diving grab and a strong throw to first on an Omar Infante grounder to the left side of the infield and Mike Stanton grounded out to second to end the game.
The Marlins stranded runners in scoring position in 6-of-9 innings and went 2-for-12 in those situations, leaving 10 men on base.
Bonifacio led off the game with a double into left. Infante followed with a base hit and Gaby Sanchez's one-out walk loaded the bases. Lopez then pulled a ball through the left side of the infield, scoring Bonifacio and Infante to give the Marlins an early two-run advantage.
Duda worked a walk with one out in the fourth before Wright hit a double high off the wall in left-center to put runners on second and third. Wright's double was the first ball a Met hit out of the infield against Volstad.
Angel Pagan then hit a ball back to the mound, but Sanchez couldn't handle the throw by Volstad, loading the bases on the missed catch error. After a Jason Bay strikeout, Bonifacio's throw to second on a Nick Evans grounder to short was low and Infante couldn't corral the short-hop, allowing Duda to score. New York failed to push any more runs across the plate, however, as Josh Thole grounded out to second to end the inning.
Wright led off the sixth with his second double off the wall in left-center, moved to third on a Pagan groundout and came home on Bay's single that deflected off the leg of Volstad to knot the game at two.
After Ruben Tejada's sacrifice bunt in the seventh inning moved Reyes to second with one out, Volstad was pulled in favor of Michael Dunn. Duda then lined the eighth pitch of his at-bat into center, giving the Mets a 3-2 lead.
The Mets could have padded their lead in the eighth, but Bay was called out at home trying to score on a Thole ground ball.
The win was the 3,799th in New York Mets history...Volstad fell to 2-5 in 12 road starts this season...Duda has recorded 10 RBI over his last 10 games...New York improved to 4-1 in a six-game homestand while Florida fell to 2-3 in a six-game road trip...The Marlins still hold the edge in the season series, 8-6...The Mets announced they will recall pitcher Josh Stinson from Double-A Binghamton and purchase the contract of infielder Josh Satin from Triple-A Buffalo prior to Thursday's game against Florida.
- FLORIDA: 2
NEW YORK: 3
Aug 31 9:59 PM
- Lucas Duda singled to center scored Jose Reyes. On the play, Lucas Duda advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with one out and David Wright due up.
Marlins 2, Mets 3 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 31 9:33 PM
- Jason Bay singled to right scored David Wright. Runner on first with one out and Nick Evans due up.
Marlins 2, Mets 2 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 31 9:01 PM
- Nick Evans singled to short scored Lucas Duda. On the play, Angel Pagan advances to second and David Wright advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Josh Thole due up.
Marlins 2, Mets 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 31 8:31 PM
- Jose Lopez singled to left scored Emilio Bonifacio and Omar Infante. On the play, Gaby Sanchez advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Logan Morrison due up.
Marlins 2, Mets 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 31 7:21 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 31 7:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21