Mets outlast Marlins in extra-inning affairSep 7, 2011 - 6:37 AM
Angel Pagan doubled twice among his three hits, drove in a run and also scored twice for New York, which won for the ninth time in its last 12 games. Justin Turner added three hits and an RBI for the Mets, who won despite leaving 15 men on base.
Mike Cameron belted the tying two-run double with two outs in the bottom of the ninth off Bobby Parnell, but the Mets fended off a Marlins chance with two men in scoring position in the 11th when Ryota Igarashi (4-1) fanned Donnie Murphy.
Pagan singled off Jose Ceda (0-1) leading off the 12th and Jason Bay added a base hit. Evans then singled up the middle to continue his hot streak at the plate, as he has 12 RBI over his last 13 contests.
"I still have a long way to go this year before I can exhale and go into spring training," Evans said about fighting for a starting job next year.
Jose Reyes tacked on a run-scoring base hit and Steve Cishek walked Lucas Duda on four pitches with the bases full to account for the final margin.
Josh Stinson, in his third major league game, recorded the save in a game that was delayed 74 minutes at the start due to rain. The teams then played 4 1/2 hours, finishing it nearly at 1 a.m. (et).
Turner singled in a run in the fifth before Greg Dobbs roped an RBI double in the bottom half.
Evans had an RBI base hit in the sixth, but Florida tied it in the next inning on Dobbs' double to center off Manny Acosta.
Pagan doubled to left-center off Ryan Webb with one out in the eighth. After Willie Harris was intentionally walked, Evans lined a single to center and Cameron's throw home was off line.
Florida, which won the opener of this three-game series, 9-3, on Monday, wasted bases loaded opportunities in three different innings on Tuesday. That included the eighth when Jason Isringhausen walked the bases full, but fanned both pinch-hitter Jose Lopez and Emilio Bonifacio.
Pagan's double scored Reyes in the ninth, but the insurance tally was wiped out by Cameron's blast. Cameron left game with an injured leg.
Marlins starter Chris Volstad and New York starter Miguel Batista each pitched six innings.
"I was able to keep the team right there," Volstad said. "I threw well. It was a good battle tonight."
Earlier Tuesday, the Marlins recalled pitcher Alex Sanabia and selected the contracts of infielders Vinny Rottino and Matt Dominguez from Triple-A New Orleans. They also designated infielder Alfredo Amezaga for assignment, and transferred shortstop Hanley Ramirez to the 60-day disabled list. Ramirez will undergo shoulder surgery on September 15. The procedure will be performed by Dr. James Andrews...The Marlins also made some front office moves by naming Jim Fleming special assistant to the president of baseball operations, Stan Meek vice president of scouting and Marty Scott vice president of player development.
- NEW YORK: 7
Sep 7 12:53 AM
- Lucas Duda walked. Nick Evans scored on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and David Wright due up.
Mets 7, Marlins 4 Top 12, 2 OutsSep 7 12:43 AM
- Jose Reyes singled to right scored Jason Bay. On the play, Nick Evans advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Justin Turner due up.
Mets 6, Marlins 4 Top 12, 2 OutsSep 7 12:34 AM
- Ronny Paulino struck out swinging. Runners on first and third with one out and Ryota Igarashi due up.
Mets 5, Marlins 4 Top 12, 1 OutSep 7 12:26 AM
- Mike Cameron doubled to left center scored Greg Dobbs and Logan Morrison. Runner on second with two outs and Bryan Petersen due up.
Mets 4, Marlins 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 6 11:32 PM
- Angel Pagan doubled to second scored Jose Reyes. On the play, David Wright advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Willie Harris due up.
Mets 4, Marlins 2 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 6 11:17 PM
- Nick Evans singled to center scored Angel Pagan. On the play, Willie Harris advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Ronny Paulino due up.
Mets 3, Marlins 2 Top 8, 1 OutSep 6 10:41 PM
- Greg Dobbs doubled to center scored Emilio Bonifacio. Runner on second with two outs and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Mets 2, Marlins 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 6 10:31 PM
- Ronny Paulino flied out to left to end the inning.
Mets 2, Marlins 1 Mid 6Sep 6 10:05 PM
- Greg Dobbs doubled to right scored Omar Infante. Runner on second with two outs and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Mets 1, Marlins 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 6 9:55 PM
- Justin Turner singled to right scored Ronny Paulino. On the play, Jose Reyes advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Lucas Duda due up.
Mets 1, Marlins 0 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 6 9:44 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 6 8:25 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21