Mets edge Marlins to win seriesSep 8, 2011 - 2:09 AM
Dickey (8-11) scattered four hits and three walks while fanning three to earn his third consecutive victory.
"His job is to keep us in the game and do the best he can to give our team a chance to win and he's done that all year," said Mets manager Terry Collins.
Manny Acosta hit Mike Stanton with two down in the ninth, but grounded out Greg Dobbs to record his first save of the season. The Mets have won 10 of their last 13 games.
Brad Hand (1-6) was the hard-luck loser, allowing one run on three hits and four walks over six innings.
The Marlins stranded eight and were 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position.
"We had some golden opportunities," said Marlins manager Jack McKeon. "We just couldn't get the key hit."
Jose Reyes began the game with a single and, two batters later, Duda slapped a double into the left field corner. Reyes' trip from first to home was facilitated by Logan Morrison, who slipped in pursuit of the ball.
The Marlins left runners in scoring position in each of the first four innings. Dickey, who has posted nine straight quality starts, faced the minimum in the fifth, sixth and seventh before handing the ball to Josh Stinson in the eighth.
Emilio Bonifacio greeted Stinson with a bunt single and advanced to third on Omar Infante's sac bunt and Morrison's groundout. Again the Marlins failed to deliver, as Gaby Sanchez went down swinging.
In 20 innings over three starts against the Marlins this season, Dickey has not allowed an earned run...Reyes extended his hit streak to nine games...The Mets played their final game at Sun Life Stadium, finishing 74-72 all-time in the venue. Next year the Marlins open a new ballpark....The Mets and Marlins split the season series at nine games apiece...Marlins third baseman Matt Dominguez, who was recalled from Triple-A New Orleans on Tuesday, recorded his first major league hit with a second-inning single.
- NEW YORK: 1
Sep 7 7:59 PM
- Lucas Duda doubled to left scoring Jose Reyes. Runner on second with one out and David Wright due up.
Mets 1, Marlins 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 7 5:17 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 7 5:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21