Nationals edge Mets in series openerSep 13, 2011 - 5:14 AM Flushing, NY (Sports Network) - Steve Lombardozzi singled in the go-ahead run in the seventh inning, sending the Nationals past the Mets, 3-2, in the opener of a four-game series.
Wilson Ramos went 2-for-4 and drove in a run for Washington, which has won three of its last four.
R.A. Dickey (8-12) yielded three runs -- two earned -- on eight hits in the loss, New York's third straight. The knuckleballer fanned seven in as many innings.
"As it's happened in so many of his starts, we just didn't give him any runs to work with," Mets manager Terry Collins said.
Todd Coffey (5-1) struck out the reigning NL Player of the Week, Jason Bay, to strand two runners in the sixth, earning the win behind Ross Detwiler.
Detwiler was pulled after giving up run-scoring hits to David Wright and Angel Pagan earlier in the sixth, the latter tying the game on a bloop double down the right-field line.
Washington re-took the lead in the next half-inning, as Lombardozzi singled through the left side with two outs to plate Brian Bixler.
"To get the game-winning RBI is a pretty awesome feeling," said the rookie Lombardozzi, who had been 0-for-15 at the plate prior to the at-bat.
Tyler Clippard pitched two perfect innings to bridge the gap between Coffey and Drew Storen, who worked around a leadoff walk in the ninth to post his 35th save.
Ramos broke a scoreless tie with an RBI single in the fifth, and Rick Ankiel drove in another run in the sixth.
Nats skipper Davey Johnson managed the Mets from 1984-90, leading them to a World Series title in 1986...Jayson Werth had three of Washington's 10 hits...Detwiler was charged with two runs on three hits and three walks in 5 2/3 innings...Dickey has made 10 straight quality starts, going 4-4 in that span...Three Mets players had double-digit hitting streaks come to an end: Jose Reyes (14), Justin Turner (11) and Bay (10).
- WASHINGTON: 3
NEW YORK: 2
Sep 12 9:56 PM
- Steve Lombardozzi singled to left scoring Brian Bixler with two out. On the play, Lombardozzi was thrown out at second, third to second to first to end the inning.
Nationals 3, Mets 2 Mid 7Sep 12 9:10 PM
- Angel Pagan doubled to right scoring Lucas Duda with two out. On the play, David Wright advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jason Bay due up.
Nationals 2, Mets 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 12 8:55 PM
- David Wright singled to center scoring Justin Turner with two out. On the play, Lucas Duda advances to third. Runners on first and third and Angel Pagan due up.
Nationals 2, Mets 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 12 8:54 PM
- Rick Ankiel singled to center scoring Ryan Zimmerman with two out. On the play, Jayson Werth advances to third. Runners on first and third and Chris Marrero due up.
Nationals 2, Mets 0 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 12 8:39 PM
- Ross Detwiler sacrifice bunt to first. On the play, Wilson Ramos advances to second and Rick Ankiel advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Brian Bixler due up.
Nationals 1, Mets 0 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 12 8:17 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 12 7:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21