Britton wins big league debut as O's complete sweep of RaysApr 4, 2011 - 12:55 AM
Britton (1-0), who was called up after the Orioles placed left-handed pitcher Brian Matusz on the 15-day disabled list, went six innings and yielded just one run on three hits with six strikeouts.
"It's a great way to start the season," Britton said. "Hopefully we can carry the momentum into the next series and continue to play this way."
Mark Reynolds had two doubles and two runs batted in for the Orioles, who swept the Rays at Tropicana Field for the first time since September 30- October 2, 2005.
Tampa Bay starter Wade Davis (0-1) was solid, going 6 1/3 innings and allowing four runs on eight hits. At one point, he retired 13 of 14 batters, but it wasn't enough as the Rays went just 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position.
To go along with an 0-3 start, the Rays also received bad news Sunday when third baseman Evan Longoria was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained oblique.
"The results of the MRI were not what I expected," Longoria said of his injury. "I guess we'll treat it like a two- or three-week deal."
The Orioles used a three-run seventh inning to go ahead for good and chase Davis off the mound. Matt Wieters and Adam Jones started the rally with singles and Reynolds' double plated Wieters. Two batters later, J.J. Hardy's line-drive double into left field scored Jones and Reynolds to go up 4-1.
The score stayed that way until Baltimore added one more insurance run in the ninth on Reynolds' second double of the game, which sent Jones home.
Baltimore got on the board first for the third straight game. Brian Roberts continued his hitting tear during the series with a line drive single, and four batters later, Wieters dropped in an opposite-field hit to score the leadoff hitter.
The Rays used some small ball to knot the game at one apiece during the bottom of the third. Matt Joyce and Sam Fuld started the inning with back-to-back walks and Joyce reached third on a force out from B.J. Upton. Elliot Johnson laid down a perfect bunt single down the third base line to score Joyce.
Davis settled down after the first to retire 12 straight batters before getting in trouble in the seventh. Meanwhile, Britton threw 96 pitches, 58 of them zoning in as strikes.
"For the most part we were just trying to get ahead," Wieters said of Britton's control. "His secondary pitchers were really good today."
Rays outfielder Johnny Damon did not play. He went 0-for-8 during the first two games of the series...Britton led the Orioles with a 1.35 ERA in spring training...Baltimore outhit Tampa Bay 11-4... The Orioles was 5-for-12 with runners in scoring position...Roberts went 4-for-13 in the series with five RBI and three runs scored.
- BALTIMORE: 5
TAMPA BAY: 1
Apr 3 4:28 PM
- Mark Reynolds double to left scored Adam Jones. Runner on second with none out and Felix Pie due up.
Orioles 5, Rays 1 Top 9, 0 OutsApr 3 4:12 PM
- J.J. Hardy double to left scored Adam Jones and Mark Reynolds. Runner on second with one out and Brian Roberts due up.
Orioles 4, Rays 1 Top 7, 1 OutApr 3 3:31 PM
- Mark Reynolds double to left scored Matt Wieters. Runners on second and third with none out and Felix Pie due up.
Orioles 2, Rays 1 Top 7, 0 OutsApr 3 3:28 PM
- Elliot Johnson bunt single to pitcher scored Matt Joyce. Runners on first and second with one out and Ben Zobrist due up.
Orioles 1, Rays 1 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 3 2:38 PM
- Pitchers confirmed.
Orioles 1, Rays 0 Bot 1, 0 OutsApr 3 1:57 PM
- Brian Roberts singled to right. Runner on first with none out and Nick Markakis due up.
Apr 3 1:44 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21