Rangers trounce Orioles to split doubleheaderApr 10, 2011 - 7:19 AM
Zach Britton and Jason Berken combined to shut out the Rangers, 5-0, in the opener of the double-dip, but Texas' offense responded emphatically in the nightcap to improve to 7-1 early in the year.
Harrison (2-0) retired the final 18 hitters he faced and was charged with one run on two hits and a walk. Nelson Cruz hit a three-run homer and a sacrifice fly, while Mike Napoli added a solo shot in the victory.
"They shut us down in the first game, so it's good for us to come out in the second game and be aggressive, and just put the ball in play and try to hit it hard somewhere," Napoli said.
Jake Arrieta (1-1) was tagged for eight runs on six hits and two walks in just 3 1/3 innings for Baltimore, which lost for just the second time in eight games thus far.
Baltimore jumped in front when Adam Jones led off the second inning with a home run, but the game's momentum changed drastically in the third.
Arrieta set down the side in order in the first two frames, but put the first three hitters on in the third via two walks and Napoli's base hit. Elvis Andrus and Josh Hamilton each laced two-run singles prior to Beltre finishing off the six-run inning by sending an 0-2 offering into the left field seats.
"I started really well, I was on a roll early," Arrieta said. "But just one of those things where it got away from me."
Josh Rupe was brought in from the bullpen in the fourth following Napoli's solo shot and Mitch Moreland's single. Kinsler greeted the reliever with an RBI double for an 8-1 advantage.
Beltre scored on a Cruz sac fly in the seventh, and Harrison retired Baltimore's 4-5-6 hitters in order in the bottom half to end his terrific outing.
Having thrown 109 pitches, Harrison was pulled to start the eighth in favor of Pedro Strop, who got out of a bases-loaded jam by fanning Derrek Lee.
The Rangers kept the bats going against Chris Jakubauskas in the ninth, as Beltre doubled home Josh Hamilton and Cruz crushed his fifth home run of the season to account for the final score.
Orioles shortstop J.J. Hardy left the game early with a strained left oblique...Jones had two of Baltimore's four hits...Napoli, Hamilton and Michael Young each had two hits in the victory...David Murphy was the only Rangers starter who failed to record a hit.
- TEXAS: 13
Apr 9 10:26 PM
- Nelson Cruz one-out, three-run Home Run (5) to left center scored Adrian Beltre and Michael Young. David Murphy due up.
Rangers 13, Orioles 1 Top 9, 1 OutApr 9 10:10 PM
- Adrian Beltre doubled to center scoring Josh Hamilton. Runner on second with one out and Michael Young due up.
Rangers 10, Orioles 1 Top 9, 1 OutApr 9 10:08 PM
- Nelson Cruz sacrifice fly out to center scored Adrian Beltre. Runner on first with two outs and David Murphy due up.
Rangers 9, Orioles 1 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 9 9:36 PM
- Ian Kinsler doubled to left scoring Mitch Moreland. Runner on second with one out and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 8, Orioles 1 Top 4, 1 OutApr 9 8:43 PM
- Mike Napoli one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left center. Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 7, Orioles 1 Top 4, 1 OutApr 9 8:38 PM
- Adrian Beltre one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Josh Hamilton. Michael Young due up.
Rangers 6, Orioles 1 Top 3, 1 OutApr 9 8:24 PM
- Josh Hamilton singled to right scoring Ian Kinsler and Elvis Andrus. Runner on first with one out and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 4, Orioles 1 Top 3, 1 OutApr 9 8:22 PM
- Elvis Andrus singled to right scoring Mike Napoli and Mitch Moreland. Runners on first and third with one out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 2, Orioles 1 Top 3, 1 OutApr 9 8:19 PM
- Adam Jones lead-off Home Run (2) to left center. Mark Reynolds due up.
Rangers 0, Orioles 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 9 8:01 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 9 7:40 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22