Yanks rally to down Baltimore in extrasApr 15, 2011 - 6:48 AM
Alex Rodriguez went 3-for-3 with two doubles and a run batted in for the Yankees, who took both games in this abbreviated series. Originally a three- game set, Tuesday's opener was rained out.
"That pie was great. It doesn't get any better than that pie," Swisher said. "It just seemed like the sun came out today and so did the fans."
Mariano Rivera (1-0) pitched a scoreless top of the 10th to record the win and cap New York's strong bullpen performance.
Yankees starter Phil Hughes struggled in 4 1/3 innings, during which he allowed five runs on seven hits. But Bartolo Colon relieved him and tossed three shutout frames before Joba Chamberlain held the Orioles scoreless for 1 2/3.
Jake Arrieta turned in a solid start for Baltimore, giving up three runs in six innings. But the bullpen couldn't maintain the lead as the Orioles lost for the fourth straight time. Mike Gonzalez (0-1) gave up the decisive run.
"There's no self pity," Baltimore manager Buck Showalter said. "It's a tough, competitive place in the American League East."
Hughes got through two innings without incident, but the Orioles broke through in the third.
Cesar Izturis singled with one away and two batters later, Nick Markakis smacked a two-run homer to right. Luke Scott began the fourth with a double and later scored on Mark Reynolds' sac fly to make it a 3-0 game.
Then, Izturis began the fifth with a bunt single, moved to second on a throwing error by catcher Russell Martin, and advanced to third on a fly out. Markakis got him home with a double that chased Hughes from the game.
Markakis later scored on Vladimir Guerrero's single off Colon, pushing Baltimore's advantage to 5-0.
But the Yankees started to come back in the home half, which Rodriguez and Robinson Cano opened with consecutive doubles to get New York on the board.
The Yankees had two on with one out in the sixth, setting the table for the heart of their order. Mark Teixeira doubled in a run before Rodriguez hit a sacrifice fly, pulling New York within 5-3.
Martin's run-scoring groundout in the seventh off Jason Berken then pulled the Bombers within a run.
New York still faced that deficit heading into the bottom of the ninth against Kevin Gregg, and Posada instantly erased it with a leadoff homer. It was his fifth homer of the season and his seventh hit.
Curtis Granderson followed with a double that popped out of the glove of a diving Markakis in right, but Gregg got out of the inning to send the game to extras.
After Rivera got a double play to keep Baltimore off the scoreboard in the top of the 10th, the Yankees rallied once more. Teixeira worked a leadoff walk before advancing to third on a Rodriguez double. Cano then lined out to short, but Swisher lofted a fly ball deep enough to right to allow Teixeira to cross the plate.
Markakis went 3-for-5 and scored twice for the Orioles, while Guerrero finished with two hits...Despite the victory, the Yankees were 2-for-13 with runners in scoring position...The Yankees recorded their third come-from- behind win of the season, and their largest since August 11, 2010 at Texas. They trailed 6-1 after five innings in that contest.
- BALTIMORE: 5
NEW YORK: 6
Apr 14 10:24 PM
- Nick Swisher sacrifice fly out to right scoring Mark Teixeira to win the game.
Orioles 5, Yankees 6 Bot 10, 2 OutsApr 14 10:23 PM
- Jorge Posada lead-off Home Run (5) to right center. Curtis Granderson due up.
Orioles 5, Yankees 5 Bot 9, 0 OutsApr 14 9:57 PM
- Russell Martin ground out short to first scored Nick Swisher. Runner on second with two outs and Brett Gardner due up.
Orioles 5, Yankees 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 14 9:18 PM
- Alex Rodriguez sacrifice fly out to right scored Derek Jeter. Runner on third with two outs and Robinson Cano due up.
Orioles 5, Yankees 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 14 8:55 PM
- Mark Teixeira double to left scored Brett Gardner. Runners on second and third with one out and Alex Rodriguez due up.
Orioles 5, Yankees 2 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 14 8:52 PM
- Robinson Cano double to left center scored Alex Rodriguez. Runner on second with none out and Nick Swisher due up.
Orioles 5, Yankees 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsApr 14 8:28 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero single to left scored Nick Markakis. Runner on first with two outs and Luke Scott due up.
Orioles 5, Yankees 0 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 14 8:21 PM
- Bartolo Colon enters the game for the Yankees with a runner on second and one out.
Orioles 4, Yankees 0 Top 5, 1 OutApr 14 8:16 PM
- Mark Reynolds sacrifice fly out to center scored Luke Scott. None on with two outs and Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 3, Yankees 0 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 14 7:56 PM
- Nick Markakis two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Cesar Izturis. Derrek Lee due up.
Orioles 2, Yankees 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 14 7:41 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 14 7:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21