Cabrera, Masterson carry Indians in rout of O'sApr 16, 2011 - 5:58 AM
Travis Hafner belted a solo home run and knocked in two for the Indians who, snapped a two-game losing streak. Justin Masterson (3-0) was masterful in a seven-inning outing, as he gave up one run on four hits while striking out three.
"Throwing strikes is the biggest thing," Masterson said of his successful start. "Getting that first strike in there allows you to work on expanding the zone."
Luke Scott and Mark Reynolds each had an RBI for the Orioles, who dropped five straight after starting the season hot with a 6-1 record. Brian Roberts and Derrek Lee had two hits in the loss.
Baltimore starter Zach Britton (2-1) was tagged for five runs on eight hits in six innings to get his first career loss.
"I was a little disappointed ... I tried to make pitches, but they weren't good enough," Britton said.
The Indians had a big third inning where they had six straight hits and pinned four runs on the board. Matt LaPorta skied a triple high off the left field fence and Lou Marson singled to right to start the inning. Adam Everett and Michael Brantley then each singled to fill the bases. Cabrera then collected two RBI with a single and Shin-Soo Choo capped the six-hit burst with a bloop single to center.
Brantley came home on Travis Hafner's sacrifice fly, but Cabrera was called out at second to end the inning.
The Orioles got on the board during the next inning when Scott's single up the middle brought home Nick Markakis from second.
Hafner's third home run of the year put the Indians up, 5-1, in the sixth inning and they tacked on three more runs in the seventh. With the bases loaded, Cabrera ripped bouncer through the second base side to drive in Marson and Everett. Choo then launched a double off the high left field wall to score Brantley and chased Josh Rupe off the mound.
Rupe gave up all three runs while getting just one out in the seventh.
Baltimore tacked on a run in the ninth on Reynolds' RBI dribbler down the third base line and the visitors had the bases loaded with two out. However, Joe Smith got Cesar Izturis to fan to end the game.
Major League Baseball celebrated Jackie Robinson Day on Friday. All players wore his No. 42 in memory of the iconic Brooklyn star, who made his Major League debut in 1947...The Indians activated Smith from the 15-day disabled list on Friday...Masterson threw 90 pitches, 66 of them for strikes...Cleveland was 6-for-9 with runners in scoring position...Baltimore and Cleveland split six meetings a year ago. The Indians have won five of seven home games versus the Orioles.
- BALTIMORE: 2
Apr 15 9:33 PM
- Mark Reynolds infield single to third scored Derrek Lee with two out. Runners on first and third and Jake Fox due up.
Orioles 2, Indians 8 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 15 9:31 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo double to left scored Michael Brantley with one out. Runners on second and third and Austin Kearns due up.
Orioles 1, Indians 8 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 15 9:04 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera single to right scored Lou Marson and Adam Everett with one out. Runners on first and third and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Orioles 1, Indians 7 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 15 9:02 PM
- Travis Hafner two-out, solo Home Run (3) to center. Orlando Cabrera due up.
Orioles 1, Indians 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 15 8:40 PM
- Luke Scott single to center scored Nick Markakis with two out. Runners on first and third and Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 1, Indians 4 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 15 8:03 PM
- Travis Hafner sacrifice fly to right scored Michael Brantley with two out. Runners on first and third and Orlando Cabrera due up.
Orioles 0, Indians 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 15 7:51 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera single to center scored Lou Marson and Adam Everett with none out. Runners on first and second and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Orioles 0, Indians 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsApr 15 7:45 PM
- Lou Marson single to right scored Matt LaPorta with none out. Runner on first and Adam Everett due up.
Orioles 0, Indians 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsApr 15 7:38 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Apr 15 7:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21