Indians down O's, win sixth straight home gameApr 17, 2011 - 5:24 AM
Matt LaPorta drove in two runs, while Travis Hafner and Travis Buck both collected three hits for the Indians, who notched their sixth straight home victory.
Cleveland starter Josh Tomlin (3-0) yielded solo home runs to Jake Fox and Luke Scott among six hits over six innings.
"He labored a little bit ... but he knows what to do and gave us six good innings of baseball," Indians manager Manny Acta said of his starter.
Jeremy Guthrie (1-2) allowed six runs on 10 hits in five full frames for Baltimore, which has lost six in a row to fall below .500 after starting the season with a 6-1 record.
"He didn't have the finish on some of his pitches like he usually does," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said of Guthrie.
The Indians pushed two runs across in the second inning. Cabrera plated a run with a fielder's choice and came around to score on a LaPorta double.
Fox went deep with one out in the third, but Cleveland countered with a four- spot in the bottom of the frame. After Shin-Soo Choo launched a solo home run, Hafner stroked a double, the first of four consecutive two-out hits. RBI singles by Cabrera and LaPorta sandwiched around a run-scoring double by Buck put the Tribe up 6-1.
The Orioles got a run back in the fifth on Scott's leadoff blast to right field, and Brian Roberts smacked an RBI single two innings later to trim Baltimore's deficit to 6-3.
Cabrera, though, provided some insurance with a home run in the bottom of the seventh.
The start of the game was delayed two hours and three minutes because of rain...Baltimore has been outscored 45-15 during its skid.
- BALTIMORE: 3
Apr 16 5:44 PM
- Orlando Cabrera two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Travis Hafner. Travis Buck due up.
Orioles 3, Indians 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 16 5:12 PM
- Brian Roberts single to second scored Jake Fox with none out. Runners on first and second with Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 3, Indians 6 Top 7, 0 OutsApr 16 4:57 PM
- Luke Scott lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 2, Indians 6 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 16 4:15 PM
- Matt LaPorta single to left scored Travis Buck with two out. Runner on first and Jack Hannahan due up.
Orioles 1, Indians 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 16 4:00 PM
- Travis Buck double to right scored Orlando Cabrera with two out. Runner on second and Matt LaPorta due up.
Orioles 1, Indians 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 16 3:56 PM
- Orlando Cabrera single to center scored Travis Hafner with two out. Cabrera advanced to second on throw. Runner on second and Travis Buck due up.
Orioles 1, Indians 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 16 3:55 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Carlos Santana due up.
Orioles 1, Indians 3 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 16 3:50 PM
- Jake Fox one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Robert Andino due up.
Orioles 1, Indians 2 Top 3, 1 OutApr 16 3:44 PM
- Matt LaPorta double to left scored Orlando Cabrera with one out. Runners on second and third with Jack Hannahan due up.
Orioles 0, Indians 2 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 16 3:36 PM
- Orlando Cabrera grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scoring Carlos Santana with one out. Runner on first and Travis Buck due up.
Orioles 0, Indians 1 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 16 3:32 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 16 3:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21