Twins hand Orioles 8th straight lossApr 19, 2011 - 6:17 AM
Francisco Liriano (1-3) earned his first win of the season, lasting 6 1/3 innings and allowing two runs on five hits and five walks with two strikeouts.
"It's about controlling the game and not letting the game control you, and [Liriano] did that very well," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said of his starter.
Drew Butera added two hits and three RBI to give Minnesota its second straight victory.
Chris Tillman (0-2) went 6 2/3 innings and allowed three runs on six hits while striking out five to take the loss.
"It's frustrating right now. Nothing is going our way," Tillman said.
Butera doubled in the second to score both Michael Cuddyer and Valencia after their back-to-back singles.
The Twins added another run in the fourth when Delmon Young scored from third on a groundout by Valencia after he singled and was moved to third by a Cuddyer double.
Baltimore got within one when Adam Jones led off the seventh with a home run to left field, and Matt Wieters added another homer to center two batters later to make the score 3-2
Minnesota extended the lead in the ninth off of reliever Kevin Gregg. Young walked to start the inning and was replaced by pinch-runner Jason Repko. Repko moved to second on Valencia's bloop single and was brought home by a Butera single.
After Alexi Casilla walked to load the bases, Gregg threw a wild pitch that bounced past the catcher and allowed Valencia to take home.
Luke Scott's pinch-hit home run in the ninth with two outs made the score 5-3, but Matt Capps retired Brian Roberts to finish off the win and earn his second save.
Roberts went 1-for-4 to extend his hit streak to six games...Minnesota was 5-3 against the O's last season.
- MINNESOTA: 5
Apr 18 9:59 PM
- Alexi Casilla advances to second on a wild pitch. Drew Butera advances to third on a wild pitch. Danny Valencia scored on a wild pitch. Runners on second and third and with one out and Denard Span at the plate.
Twins 5, Orioles 2 Top 9, 1 OutApr 18 9:45 PM
- Drew Butera singled to center scored Jason Repko. Runners on first and second with one out and Alexi Casilla due up.
Twins 4, Orioles 2 Top 9, 1 OutApr 18 9:39 PM
- Matt Wieters one-out, solo Home Run (2) to center. Robert Andino due up.
Twins 3, Orioles 2 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 18 9:00 PM
- Adam Jones lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Jake Fox due up.
Twins 3, Orioles 1 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 18 8:57 PM
- Danny Valencia grounded out short to first scoring Delmon Young. Runner on second with one out and Drew Butera due up.
Twins 3, Orioles 0 Top 4, 1 OutApr 18 8:07 PM
- Drew Butera doubled to right scoring Michael Cuddyer and Danny Valencia. Runner on second with one out and Alexi Casilla due up.
Twins 2, Orioles 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 18 7:36 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 18 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22