Orioles hold off struggling TwinsApr 21, 2011 - 6:23 AM
Zach Britton (3-1) lasted six innings allowing three runs on five hits and three walks while striking out three to give the Orioles their second consecutive win following an eight-game skid.
"I wasn't happy with the walks, especially with the 5-1 lead and you put guys on base and it ends up being a close game like that. I wasn't happy with the way I necessarily performed, but we scored alot of runs which kept us in the game which was good," said Britton
Nick Blackburn (1-3) pitched seven innings, yielding five runs on seven hits and one walk and struck out four to take the loss.
Danny Valencia went 2-for-4 with three RBI for the Twins, who have lost eight of their last 11.
Michael Cuddyer's lead-off home run in the second gave the Twins an early one- run lead.
The Orioles quickly answered back in their half of the second when Guerrero and Luke Scott were brought home on an Adam Jones double. Guerrero and Scott started the inning with back-to-back singles and then advanced on a wild pitch. Matt Wieters hit a home run to center field two batters later to make the score 4-1.
Guerrero added a run in the third with a line-drive homer to left field.
Valencia's single scored Jason Repko and Cuddyer, who both worked walks in the inning, to make the score 5-3 in the sixth.
Valencia added another RBI single in the eighth that scored Jason Kubel to bring the Twins within one.
"We were into the game the whole way," said Twins manager Ron Gardenhire. "We just gotta keep plugging away and keep battling. I like the way guys got after it but, unfortunately, it was not enough."
Kevin Gregg earned his second save of the year with a perfect ninth inning.
Minnesota was 5-3 against the Orioles last season...Baltimore went 2-for-3 with runners in scoring position and only left two men on base.
- MINNESOTA: 4
Apr 20 9:27 PM
- Danny Valencia single to left scored Jason Kubel with two outs. Runners on first and second and Luke Hughes due up.
Twins 4, Orioles 5 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 20 9:11 PM
- Luke Hughes grounded out third to first to end the inning.
Twins 3, Orioles 5 Mid 6Apr 20 8:40 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Luke Scott due up.
Twins 1, Orioles 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 20 7:58 PM
- Matt Wieters one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to center scored Adam Jones. Robert Andino due up.
Twins 1, Orioles 4 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 20 7:41 PM
- Adam Jones double to right scored Vladimir Guerrero and Luke Scott with none out. Runner on second and Mark Reynolds due up.
Twins 1, Orioles 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 20 7:39 PM
- Michael Cuddyer lead-off Home Run (1) to center. Jim Thome due up.
Twins 1, Orioles 0 Top 2, 0 OutsApr 20 7:28 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 20 7:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22