Guerrero's late RBI lifts O'sApr 28, 2011 - 7:20 AM
Baltimore was ahead 4-0 heading into the eighth, but its bullpen gave up the lead. Kevin Youkilis hit a three-run homer off Koji Uehara (1-0) to tie the game.
However, the Orioles' offense rallied against Daniel Bard (0-3) in the home half to send the club to its second straight win. Baltimore won the opener of this three-game series, 4-1, on Tuesday.
Jeremy Guthrie threw six shutout innings to help Baltimore establish a lead, and Jeremy Accardo tossed a perfect seventh, but was pulled after allowing the first two hitters to reach base in the eighth.
"It's big to see us get the lead and win the game," Guthrie said. "Bard throws well and Vlad got the big hit, so that was good."
Clay Rapada entered to pitch and faced one batter -- Adrian Gonzalez, who hit a run-scoring single to left to get Boston on the board. Uehara then replaced Rapada but was similarly ineffective.
Youkilis hammered a 2-1 fastball, which was middle-in, over the left field fence to make it a 4-4 game.
But Nick Markakis and Derrek Lee opened the bottom half with consecutive singles, then both moved up a base on a passed ball with Guerrero at the plate. Guerrero swung at another pitch that went past catcher Jason Varitek, and Markakis tried unsuccessfully to score.
Bard blocked the plate with his cleat before applying the tag.
However, Lee successfully moved up to third and scored on Guerrero's base hit up the middle. Kevin Gregg worked a 1-2-3 ninth for his fourth save.
Red Sox starter Josh Beckett worked through three innings smoothly, but ran into trouble in the fourth, when Lee hit a one-out double. Beckett retired Guerrero give himself a path out of the inning, but delivered a 1-0 cutter down and in to Luke Scott.
The left fielder didn't miss, pulling it over the right field wall to give the Orioles a 2-0 lead. Adam Jones followed by slamming a 2-0 fastball, which Beckett left up in the zone, to left for his fifth home run of the season.
Brian Roberts' sacrifice fly in the fifth gave the Orioles their fourth run, and the lead stood because Boston didn't take advantage of its early scoring chances.
The Red Sox had runners in scoring position with two away in the first before Guthrie retired David Ortiz on a pop-up. Ortiz was also thrown out at the plate in the fourth while trying to score from second on a two-out single by Jed Lowrie.
"He throws all his pitches well," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said of Guthrie. "He never let us bunch hits together."
Guthrie allowed seven hits, walked one and fanned six in his start...Beckett gave up seven hits and struck out four in six innings...Lee and Boston's Jacoby Ellsbury both had three hits...Baltimore will go for the sweep in Thursday's series finale. The Orioles swept the Red Sox in one series last season (April 30-May 2).
- BOSTON: 4
Apr 27 9:52 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero single to center scored Derrek Lee with one out. Runner on first and Luke Scott due up.
Red Sox 4, Orioles 5 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 27 9:44 PM
- Kevin Youkilis none-out, three-run Home Run (5) to left scored Dustin Pedroia and Adrian Gonzalez. David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 4, Orioles 4 Top 8, 0 OutsApr 27 9:27 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to left scored Jacoby Ellsbury with none out. Runners on first and second and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 1, Orioles 4 Top 8, 0 OutsApr 27 9:24 PM
- Brian Roberts sacrifice fly to right scored Matt Wieters with one out. Runner on third and Nick Markakis due up.
Red Sox 0, Orioles 4 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 27 8:37 PM
- Adam Jones two-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Mark Reynolds due up.
Red Sox 0, Orioles 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 27 8:23 PM
- Luke Scott two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Derrek Lee. Adam Jones due up.
Red Sox 0, Orioles 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 27 8:21 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 27 7:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21