Upton, Rays sweep OriolesMay 8, 2011 - 11:55 PM
Wade Davis (4-2) earned the win in five innings of work in which he allowed three runs on four hits and five walks while fanning three to give the Rays their fourth consecutive victory.
Brad Bergesen (0-4) went 4 2/3 innings, allowing five runs on nine hits and two walks to hand Baltimore its fourth straight defeat.
Johnny Damon led off the fourth with a double and came home on Evan Longoria's single. Matt Joyce followed with a double to put runners on second and third and Upton then hit a two-run single to give the Rays a 3-0 lead.
"We know our starting pitching has been solid. We have the best defense around, and it seems like we have been getting big hits" said Damon. "When someone doesn't come through, it seems like the next guy is ready and willing to pick the guy up."
The Orioles answered back in the bottom of the fourth with two runs to make it a one-run game. Luke Scott led off with a double and Adam Jones was hit by a pitch before Matt Wieters' double plated Scott and Jones.
Tampa Bay added two more runs in the fifth after Upton hit a two-run single that forced Bergesen from the game.
"Yeah that one was really tough. You know that's terrible on my part. This game, so much of it is momentum and me giving up three, then us getting two really shifted the momentum back in our favor. Then I just couldn't get it done and gave it right back, so that part was tough," said Bergesen.
Derek Lee led off Baltimore's half of the fifth with a home run to make the score 5-3.
Kyle Farnsworth entered in the eighth inning with two down and struck out Mark Reynolds to end the inning. He stayed in for the ninth and allowed a lead off double to pinch-hitter Felix Pie, and then hit Nick Markakis with a pitch two batters later to put the tying run on first. Lee then grounded into a double play to end the game and give Farnsworth his seventh save of the year.
Tampa Bay's Ben Zobrist extended his hit streak to 14 games...Baltimore went 1-for-6 with runners in scoring position and left nine men on base.
- TAMPA BAY: 5
May 8 4:28 PM
- Derrek Lee lead-off Home Run (4) to center. Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Rays 5, Orioles 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 8 3:15 PM
- B.J. Upton single to center scored Ben Zobrist and Matt Joyce with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Casey Kotchman due up.
Rays 5, Orioles 2 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 8 3:08 PM
- Matt Wieters double to left scored Luke Scott and Adam Jones with none out. Runner on second with none out and Mark Reynolds due up.
Rays 3, Orioles 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 8 2:50 PM
- B.J. Upton single to center scored Evan Longoria and Matt Joyce with none out. On the play, B.J. Upton out at second, center to first to second to short. None on with one out and Casey Kotchman due up.
Rays 3, Orioles 0 Top 4, 1 OutMay 8 2:38 PM
- Evan Longoria single to center scored Johnny Damon with none out. Runner on first with none out and Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 1, Orioles 0 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 8 2:33 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 8 1:37 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21