Swisher, Yanks pound OriolesMay 20, 2011 - 7:29 AM
Mark Teixeira hit a two-run homer and finished with three RBI in New York's third consecutive win. The Yankees pounded out 14 hits, eight of which went for extra bases, including RBI triples by Derek Jeter, Curtis Granderson and Brett Gardner.
It was more than enough support for Sabathia (4-3), who limited Baltimore to seven hits and struck out nine. It was a good rebound start for the left- hander, who gave up six runs to Boston on Saturday.
The Yankees chased Orioles starter Brad Bergesen (1-5) after just 3 1/3 innings, getting to him for eight runs on just five hits and three walks. Bergesen started in place of Jeremy Guthrie, who was used in relief during Wednesday's 15-inning marathon.
"Tonight, my misses were in the middle of the plate and (I) just wasn't able to get anything going," Bergesen said.
Thursday's game started after a 48-minute weather delay, and the Yankees wasted little time in taking control.
Jeter led off with a double before racing home on Granderson's triple to right. Teixeira's groundout then plated Granderson to make it a 2-0 game.
Bergesen fanned Alex Rodriguez for the second out, but created more trouble by hitting Robinson Cano with a pitch and walking Russell Martin. After Bergesen walked Jorge Posada, Swisher ripped a bases-clearing double to left to make it a 5-0 game.
"For us to come out and play the way we did today, it kind of feels like everything's just opening up for us," Swisher said.
Swisher walked with one away in the fourth to get another Yankees rally started. Gardner and Jeter then hit consecutive triples to push the lead to 7-0 and force Bergesen from the game.
Chris Jakubauskas came in and retired Granderson before giving up Teixeira's blast to right.
Cano scored on Swisher's infield single in the fifth, and raced home on Posada's double in the sixth to make it an 11-0 contest.
Eduardo Nunez's two-run homer off Troy Patton in the ninth capped the Yankees' scoring, and the Orioles tacked on two runs in the home half.
Nunez's homer was the second of his career...Teixeira hit his 10th home run of the season...Jeter finished 2-for-6, pushing his career hit total to 2,970...Patton and Jakubauskas were called up from Triple-A Norfolk on Thursday, when the Orioles placed first baseman Derrek Lee on the 15-day disabled list and second baseman Brian Roberts on the seven-day disabled list.
- NEW YORK: 13
May 19 10:54 PM
- Jake Fox groundout to third scored Felix Pie with one out. Runner on second with one out and Brandon Snyder due up.
Yankees 13, Orioles 2 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 19 10:47 PM
- Mark Reynolds double to right center scored Adam Jones with none out. On the play, Felix Pie advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Jake Fox due up.
Yankees 13, Orioles 1 Bot 9, 0 OutsMay 19 10:46 PM
- Eduardo Nunez two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Brett Gardner. Mark Teixeira due up.
Yankees 13, Orioles 0 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 19 10:34 PM
- Jorge Posada double to right scored Robinson Cano with two out. On the play, Russell Martin advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 11, Orioles 0 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 19 9:41 PM
- Brett Gardner struck out looking. Bases loaded with one out and Derek Jeter due up.
Yankees 10, Orioles 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 19 9:18 PM
- Mark Teixeira two-out, two-run Home Run (10) to right scored Derek Jeter. Alex Rodriguez due up.
Yankees 9, Orioles 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 19 9:00 PM
- Chris Jakubauska enters the game for the Orioles with a runner on third and one out.
Yankees 7, Orioles 0 Top 4, 1 OutMay 19 8:56 PM
- Brett Gardner triple to right scored Nick Swisher with one out. Runner on third with one out and Derek Jeter due up.
Yankees 6, Orioles 0 Top 4, 1 OutMay 19 8:51 PM
- Nick Swisher double to left scored Robinson Cano, Russell Martin and Jorge Posada with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Brett Gardner due up.
Yankees 5, Orioles 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 19 8:06 PM
- Alex Rodriguez struck out looking. None on with two outs and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 2, Orioles 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 19 7:58 PM
- Curtis Granderson triple to right scored Derek Jeter with none out. Runner on third with none out and Mark Teixeira due up.
Yankees 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 0 OutsMay 19 7:55 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 19 7:53 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21