Nats pound O'sMay 21, 2011 - 5:21 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Danny Espinosa knocked in five runs and was a double short of the cycle to lead Washington past the Orioles, 17-5, in the opener of a three-game series.
Jayson Werth went deep twice to go along with home runs by Espinosa, Roger Bernadina, Wilson Ramos and Laynce Nix to give the Nationals their third win in five games.
"We know we can hit, but for everyone to get going like that and just go off in a game like that. It felt unbelievable," said Espinosa.
Starter Jason Marquis only lasted four innings, allowing five runs on eight hits. The win went to Henry Rodriguez (1-0) as he pitched three scoreless innings of relief.
Jake Arrieta (5-2) lasted just 3 2/3 innings to take the loss. He allowed six runs on six hits and three walks while fanning three in the Orioles' fourth straight defeat.
Adam LaRoche and Ramos worked back-to-back walks to lead-off the second and Espinosa followed with a home run, after a 10-pitch at-bat that included six foul balls, to give Washington a three-run advantage.
Nick Markakis reached base with two outs on a dribbler down the third base line and Vladimir Guerrero followed with a bloop single to put men on the corners in the third. Matt Wieters then hit a double to deep center that should have been the third out, but it bounced off the glove of Bernadina to allow Markakis and Guerrero to cross the plate. Luke Scott followed with an RBI single to knot the game at three.
Espinosa tripled to knock in Ramos in the fourth after Ramos was hit by a pitch. Jerry Hairston Jr. then singled to score Espinosa. The Nationals later loaded the bases with two down in the inning after Bernadina singled and Nix walked to chase Arrieta from the game.
"I felt off tonight. Pretty much the first time all year I felt this way...I searched for answers, tried to make adjustments but I just wasn't able to do that," Arrieta said about his performance.
Jason Berken entered in relief and hit Werth with the first pitch he threw to bring in Hairston and make the score 6-3.
Mark Reynolds walked to leadoff the bottom of the fourth and was followed by a Ryan Adams single. Felix Pie then doubled to bring in Reynolds and move Adams to third. Adam Jones followed with a sacrifice fly that scored Adams and put the Orioles within a run.
Washington answered back again in the fifth, this time with six runs to take control of the game for good.
LaRoche led off the inning with a walk and scored on Ramos' triple. Espinosa then singled in Ramos before Bernadina hit a two-run homer that bounced off of center fielder Jones' glove and went over the wall. Next, Ian Desmond singled before Werth deposited a ball into the right-center field bleachers two batters later to make the score 12-5.
The Nats added another run in the sixth when Hairston singled in Ramos and Werth hit his second homer of the night in the seventh to give Washington its 14th run.
Ramos added a solo shot in the eighth and Nix hit a two-run homer in the ninth to finalize the scoring.
Adams made his major-league debut tonight. He started at second base for Baltimore...Marquis also walked three and struck out two...The 17 runs the Nationals scored was the most the franchise has scored since moving to Washington.
- WASHINGTON: 17
May 20 10:41 PM
- Brian Bixler grounded out third to first. None on with one out and Mike Morse due up.
Nationals 17, Orioles 5 Top 9, 1 OutMay 20 10:26 PM
- Wilson Ramos lead-off Home Run (3) to left center. Danny Espinosa due up.
Nationals 15, Orioles 5 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 20 10:13 PM
- Jayson Werth one-out, solo Home Run 2 (8) to left. Matt Stairs due up.
Nationals 14, Orioles 5 Top 7, 1 OutMay 20 9:51 PM
- Jerry Hairston Jr. singled to left scored Wilson Ramos. On the play, Danny Espinosa advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Roger Bernadina due up.
Nationals 13, Orioles 5 Top 6, 1 OutMay 20 9:33 PM
- Jayson Werth two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to center scored Ian Desmond. Matt Stairs due up.
Nationals 12, Orioles 5 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 20 9:13 PM
- Roger Bernadina one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left center scored Danny Espinosa. Ian Desmond due up.
Nationals 10, Orioles 5 Top 5, 1 OutMay 20 9:08 PM
- Wilson Ramos tripled to center scored Adam LaRoche. Runner on third with none out and Danny Espinosa due up.
Nationals 7, Orioles 5 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 20 9:02 PM
- Nick Markakis walked. Runner on first with two outs and Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Nationals 6, Orioles 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 20 8:53 PM
- Felix Pie doubled to center scored Mark Reynolds On the play, Ryan Adams advances to third. Felix Pie tagged out center fielder to pitcher to third base. Runner on third with one out and Adam Jones due up.
Nationals 6, Orioles 4 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 20 8:51 PM
- Jayson Werth was hit-by-pitch Jerry Hairston Jr. scored on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Matt Stairs due up.
Nationals 6, Orioles 3 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 20 8:37 PM
- Jerry Hairston Jr. singled to right scored Danny Espinosa. Runner on first with one out and Roger Bernadina due up.
Nationals 5, Orioles 3 Top 4, 1 OutMay 20 8:25 PM
- Danny Espinosa tripled to left scored Wilson Ramos. Runner on third with one out and Jerry Hairston Jr. due up.
Nationals 4, Orioles 3 Top 4, 1 OutMay 20 8:24 PM
- Luke Scott singled to center scored Matt Wieters. Luke Scott advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and J.J. Hardy due up.
Nationals 3, Orioles 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 20 8:16 PM
- Matt Wieters doubled to center scored Nick Markakis and Vladimir Guerrero. Runner on second with two outs and Luke Scott due up.
Nationals 3, Orioles 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 20 8:14 PM
- Danny Espinosa none-out, three-run Home Run (6) to right scored Adam LaRoche and Wilson Ramos. Jerry Hairston Jr. due up.
Nationals 3, Orioles 0 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 20 7:43 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 20 7:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21