Guthrie gets home win, O's down NatsMay 22, 2011 - 1:20 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Nolan Reimold smacked a two-run homer to back seven strong innings from Jeremy Guthrie as Baltimore posted an 8-3 victory over Washington in the second of a three-game interleague series.
The O's were rocked by the Nats, 17-5, in Friday's series opener.
Guthrie (2-6) earned his first home win of the season by allowing two unearned runs on five hits and a walk with four strikeouts, as Baltimore snapped a four-game losing streak.
Prior to Saturday's game, the Orioles had not scored a single run while Guthrie was on the mound in his previous three starts. He had received the worst run support of any starter in the American League with 1.70 runs per game.
John Lannan (2-5) went six-plus innings, allowing six runs on nine hits and a walk while fanning six in the Nationals' third loss in four games.
"I was falling behind and then I was leaving the ball up...You just have to bear down and make good pitches there and I didn't," said Lannan about his performance.
Washington's Jerry Hairston Jr. singled and was followed two batters later by a ground-rule double by Ian Desmond before they were both knocked in on a fielding error by Brandon Snyder in the third. Laynce Nix hit a bouncer to first and Snyder had it knock off his wrist and into foul territory to allow Hairston and Desmond cross the plate.
Baltimore answered in the bottom half of the inning with four runs of their own. Mark Reynolds walked to lead off the inning and Reimold followed with his first homer of the year. The Orioles then ripped off three hits with two outs to take the lead.
Adam Jones laid down a bunt for a single and scored from first on a Nick Markakis base-hit. Jones hustled around third and shortstop Desmond noticed too late and his throw home was not in time. Markakis took second on the toss home and scored on Vladimir Guerrero's single to make the score 4-2.
Baltimore put the game away in the seventh. Snyder doubled to lead off the inning and then Robert Andino followed with a two-bagger himself to bring Snyder home and knock Lannan off the mound.
Cole Kimball took the bump next and got one out before allowing four straight singles to Markakis, Guerrero, Matt Wieters and J.J. Hardy that made the score 8-2.
"It was a good win for us. We got to try to win tomorrow and see if we can win the series," said Orioles manager Buck Showalter.
Washington added their final run on a Wilson Ramos sacrifice fly that scored Matt Stairs in the ninth.
Baltimore optioned pitcher Jason Berken to Norfolk after allowing six runs in an inning of work on Friday...Baltimore also reinstated pitcher Alfredo Simon from the restricted list and transferred infielder Cesar Izturis from the 15- day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list on Saturday...Guerrero's two hits gave him a career high seventh straight multi-hit game...Every Baltimore starter recorded a hit.
- WASHINGTON: 3
May 21 6:42 PM
- Wilson Ramos sacrifice fly to right scored Matt Stairs with two outs. None on and Danny Espinosa due up.
Nationals 3, Orioles 8 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 21 6:41 PM
- J.J. Hardy single to left scored Vladimir Guerrero with one out. On the play, Matt Wieters advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mark Reynolds due up.
Nationals 2, Orioles 8 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 21 6:13 PM
- Matt Wieters single to left scored Nick Markakis with one out. On the play, Vladimir Guerrero advances to second. Runners on first and second and J.J. Hardy due up.
Nationals 2, Orioles 7 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 21 6:11 PM
- Nick Markakis single to center scored Robert Andino with one out. Runner on first and Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Nationals 2, Orioles 6 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 21 6:06 PM
- Robert Andino double to right scored Brandon Snyder with none out. Runner on second and Adam Jones due up.
Nationals 2, Orioles 5 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 21 5:59 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero single to left center scored Nick Markakis with two outs. Runner on first and Matt Wieters due up.
Nationals 2, Orioles 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 21 4:59 PM
- Nick Markakis single to left On the play, Adam Jones scored on Laynce Nix's fielding error with two outs. Runner on second and Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Nationals 2, Orioles 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 21 4:56 PM
- Nolan Reimold none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Mark Reynolds. Brandon Snyder due up.
Nationals 2, Orioles 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 21 4:49 PM
- Laynce Nix reached first on Brandon Snyder's fielding error scored Jerry Hairston Jr. and Ian Desmond with two outs. Runner on first and Jayson Werth due up.
Nationals 2, Orioles 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 21 4:40 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 21 4:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21