Orioles have win streak snapped in OaklandMay 28, 2011 - 7:12 AM
Brad Ziegler (1-0) was given the win as he pitched two scoreless innings in relief of starter Gio Gonzalez. Gonzalez went five-plus innings, allowing two runs -- one earned -- on five hits and five walks with seven strikeouts in the Athletics' third win in their last four games.
Alfredo Simon (1-1) took the loss when he allowed three runs in two innings of relief. Starter Chris Tillman allowed two runs -- one earned -- on six hits and three walks in 4 1/3 innings as Baltimore's had its five-game win streak snapped.
"I'm disappointed, but I have to look forward," Tillman said of his short outing. "We're headed in the right direction."
Hideki Matsui knocked in Sweeney with a single in the first inning to give Oakland a one-run lead.
Baltimore tied it up in the top of the second when Mark Reynolds worked a bases loaded walk to bring in Vladimir Guerrero. Guerrero and Matt Wieters singled to start the inning and then Nolan Reimold walked to fill the bases with no outs. After Reynolds' walk, J.J. Hardy struck out and Jake Fox grounded into a double play to limit the damage.
The A's took the lead right back in the bottom half of the second with an RBI single by David DeJesus. Mark Ellis led off the frame with a single and then stole second before coming around to score on DeJesus' base hit.
Fox walked to lead off the fifth inning and Robert Andino followed with a single. Adam Jones then hit a ground ball to first. Shortstop Cliff Pennington's throw back to first to complete a double play was too far right of the bag and Gonzalez couldn't make the grab as he ran to cover first. The ball rolled into the Orioles' dugout and Fox was awarded home on the throwing error, which tied the game at two.
Oakland had the bases loaded in the fifth with one out on a Daric Barton single and walks by Josh Willingham and Matsui. Simon then entered and fanned Kurt Suzuki and Ellis to end the threat and keep the game knotted at two.
Simon returned for the sixth inning and got into trouble. He allowed a single to Andy LaRoche and a walk to David DeJesus before Sweeney singled to bring in LaRoche. Willingham then doubled down the left-field line to score DeJesus, and Matsui was intentionally walked to load the bases. Suzuki followed with an RBI single to give the A's a 5-2 lead before Ellis grounded out to third to end the inning.
The A's extended their lead in the eighth on Willingham's solo shot to left field.
"We have to build [on leads] and get that big hit in a crucial time in the game," Willingham said. "I like our chances if we score four or five runs in a game."
Baltimore's Nick Markakis and Guerrero both extended their hit streaks to 12 games...Oakland manager Bob Geren was ejected from the game in the sixth inning when he argued balls and strikes with home plate umpire Angel Campos...Every Oakland starter had at least one hit...Baltimore went 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position and left six men on base.
- BALTIMORE: 2
May 28 1:19 AM
- Josh Willingham lead-off Home Run (8) to left. Hideki Matsui due up.
Orioles 2, Athletics 6 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 28 1:05 AM
- Kurt Suzuki singled to right scored Ryan Sweeney with two out. On the play, Hideki Matsui advances to second and Josh Willingham advances to third. Bases loaded and Mark Ellis due up.
Orioles 2, Athletics 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 28 12:33 AM
- Josh Willingham doubled to left scored David DeJesus with two out. On the play, Ryan Sweeney advances to third. Runners on second and third with Hideki Matsui due up.
Orioles 2, Athletics 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 28 12:30 AM
- Ryan Sweeney singled to center scored Andy LaRoche with two out. On the play, David DeJesus advances to third. Runners on first and third with Josh Willingham due up.
Orioles 2, Athletics 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 28 12:28 AM
- Adam Jones grounded into a fielder's choice to short scored Jake Fox, advances to second on Cliff Pennington's throwing error. Robert Andino out at second. Runner on second with one out and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 2, Athletics 2 Top 5, 1 OutMay 27 11:42 PM
- David DeJesus singled to left scored Mark Ellis with two out. Runner on first and Daric Barton due up.
Orioles 1, Athletics 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 27 10:55 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero scored on the Mark Reynolds walk with none out. Bases loaded and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 1, Athletics 1 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 27 10:39 PM
- Kurt Suzuki popped out to second to end the inning.
Orioles 0, Athletics 1 End 1May 27 10:28 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 27 10:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21