Lind homers twice as Toronto defeats BaltimoreJun 5, 2011 - 8:50 PM
Yunel Escobar hit a three-run homer for the Blue Jays, who had lost three of four coming into Sunday's game.
Jo-Jo Reyes (2-4) gave up three runs on five hits over 6 1/3 innings to pick up his second straight win since going 28 games without a victory. Coming off his first career complete game against the Indians on May 30, Reyes walked four and struck out three.
Mark Reynolds hit a solo homer for the Orioles, who have lost seven of nine.
Jeremy Guthrie (2-8) allowed six runs on nine hits over five full frames to suffer the loss. He also walked three and struck out three.
Aaron Hill's RBI single in the first inning gave the Blue Jays an early edge.
The Orioles responded promptly with two runs in the home first. With men on first and second and one out, Vladimir Guerrero hit an RBI double to left. Derrek Lee grounded out to plate another run for a 2-1 lead.
Toronto tied the game on Lind's run-scoring base hit in the third. The Blue Jays added three more runs during their next at-bat to take control. Edwin Encarnacion singled and Jose Molina walked to put men on first and second with two outs. Escobar stepped to the plate and smacked Guthrie's offering over the wall in left for a 5-2 margin.
Lind added a solo shot to right in the fifth, but Baltimore got the run back in the home half on a Nick Markakis sacrifice fly.
The Blue Jays took a 7-3 lead on Lind's solo homer to right in the seventh.
Reynolds' solo homer off Jon Rauch in the ninth accounted for the final margin.
The Blue Jays squared off with Baltimore 18 times a year ago, winning 15 of those matchups, and took six of nine meetings on the road...Guthrie fell to 2-7 lifetime against the Blue Jays...The O's went 1-for-6 with runners in scoring position and stranded six.
- TORONTO: 7
Jun 5 4:14 PM
- Mark Reynolds one-out, solo Home Run (9) to center. Nolan Reimold due up.
Blue Jays 7, Orioles 4 Bot 9, 1 OutJun 5 4:05 PM
- Adam Lind two-out, solo Home Run 2 (9) to right. Aaron Hill due up.
Blue Jays 7, Orioles 3 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 5 3:26 PM
- Adam Jones fouled out to first to end the inning.
Blue Jays 6, Orioles 3 End 5Jun 5 3:01 PM
- Adam Lind one-out, solo Home Run (8) to right. Aaron Hill due up.
Blue Jays 6, Orioles 2 Top 5, 1 OutJun 5 2:48 PM
- Yunel Escobar two-out, three-run Home Run (7) to left scored Edwin Encarnacion and Jose Molina. Corey Patterson due up.
Blue Jays 5, Orioles 2 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 5 2:36 PM
- Aaron Hill grounded into a double play, third to second to first On the play, Adam Lind out at second to end the inning.
Blue Jays 2, Orioles 2 Mid 3Jun 5 2:21 PM
- Derrek Lee grounded out third to first scored Adam Jones. On the play, Vladimir Guerrero advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and J.J. Hardy due up.
Blue Jays 1, Orioles 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 5 1:57 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero ground-rule doubled to left scored Robert Andino. On the play, Adam Jones advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Derrek Lee due up.
Blue Jays 1, Orioles 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 5 1:56 PM
- Aaron Hill singled to right scored Jose Bautista. Aaron Hill thrown out at second to end the inning.
Blue Jays 1, Orioles 0 Mid 1Jun 5 1:48 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 5 1:37 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22