Orioles hand A's seventh straight lossJun 7, 2011 - 5:41 AM
Robert Andino and J.J. Hardy added two hits apiece while Vladimir Guerrero and Nick Markakis chipped in with a hit and an RBI each to help the Orioles bounce back after a 7-4 loss to Toronto on Sunday.
Brian Matusz (1-0) threw 5 1/3 innings, giving up two runs on seven hits while walking two and fanning three to pick up his first win of 2011.
Kevin Gregg pitched a scoreless ninth to pick up his 11th save of the year for Baltimore.
"I thought overall, this was probably one of our better wins all year. We got some runs across, got some big hits and we ended up winning. When it comes down to it, that's what we want to do," said Markakis.
Adam Rosales had two hits, including his first home run of the year, and Conor Jackson contributed two hits for the Athletics, who saw their losing streak expand to seven games.
Gio Gonzalez (5-4) worked seven innings in defeat, giving up four runs -- three earned -- on nine hits while striking out three and walking one.
Baltimore struck first and took the lead for good in its first at-bat. Andino led off with a single to right and Markakis reached on an error by Cliff Pennington to give the Orioles runners on first and second with no outs. Andino advanced to third on a double-play groundout by Adam Jones and was knocked in on a Guerrero single to left to give Baltimore an early 1-0 lead.
The Orioles expanded their lead with three runs in the second. Derrek Lee led off the inning with a single to center, stole second and advanced to third an a throwing error by Kurt Suzuki. Lee scored on a looping single to center by Wieters.
The inning continued with a Hardy single and a Mark Reynolds walk to load the bags with no outs. Wieters scored on a Nolan Reimold sacrifice fly and Hardy scored on a single to left by Markakis to push Baltimore's lead to a comfortable 4-0 margin.
Oakland threatened in the third, putting two runners on base with two down, but Matusz battled back to induce a flyout from Josh Willingham to end the inning for the A's.
Oakland cut the lead in half in the fourth on Rosales' two-run home run, but were held scoreless the remainder of the game by Matusz and a solid Orioles bullpen contingent of Jim Johnson, Koji Uehara and Gregg.
"The homer got us back in the game. I like the energy he brings to the team and obviously the talent and skills he has also," Athletics manager Bob Geren said about Rosales.
The Orioles are 17-16 at home this season...Oakland is 0-5 during the month of June and 7-14 in opening games of series this season...The Orioles are 22-17 in series openers since Buck Showalter became manager back in August of 2010...Oakland leads the season series 3-1...Baltimore is 6-7 against AL West opponents, Oakland is 5-10 against AL East competition.
- OAKLAND: 2
Jun 6 9:27 PM
- Adam Rosales one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Mark Ellis. Ryan Sweeney due up.
Athletics 2, Orioles 4 Top 4, 1 OutJun 6 8:16 PM
- Nick Markakis singled to left scored J.J. Hardy. On the play, Mark Reynolds advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Adam Jones due up.
Athletics 0, Orioles 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 6 7:49 PM
- Nolan Reimold sacrifice fly out to right scored Matt Wieters. On the play, J.J. Hardy advances to third. Runners on first and third and with one out and Robert Andino due up.
Athletics 0, Orioles 3 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 6 7:45 PM
- Matt Wieters singled to center scored Derrek Lee. Runner on first with none out and J.J. Hardy due up.
Athletics 0, Orioles 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 6 7:41 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero singled to left scored Robert Andino. Vladimir Guerrero thrown out at second to end the inning.
Athletics 0, Orioles 1 End 1Jun 6 7:23 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 6 7:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21