Orioles complete sweep of A'sJun 9, 2011 - 4:57 AM
J.J. Hardy knocked in the other run with a single for the Orioles, who completed their first three-game sweep of the Athletics in Baltimore since July 21-23, 1998. The Orioles have won five of their last seven.
"We're just trying to win ball games. It doesn't matter who we're playing," Reynolds said.
Zach Britton (6-4) worked 6 1/3 solid innings, giving up one run on four hits. He struck out six and walked two. Kevin Gregg threw a perfect ninth inning to secure the win and record his 12th save of the season.
Coco Crisp had a sacrifice fly for Oakland, which has dropped a season-high nine straight. Jemile Weeks picked up his first major-league hit -- a double in the third -- and finished 2-for-3 with two runs scored.
Josh Outman (1-1) yielded three runs on five hits with four strikeouts in six frames. The lefty did not issue a walk.
"One of these days, it's going to turn around. Those hard hit balls are going to fall in and we're probably going to go on a nine-game winning streak with the type of defense and pitching we have," Outman said.
Starting pitching limited the chances in the first four innings before the Orioles put up a three-spot in the fifth. Vladimir Guerrero reached with a leadoff single, advanced to second on a wild pitch with two away and came around to score on Hardy's base hit to right-center. Reynolds then followed with a two-run shot over the left-center field wall.
Consecutive singles by Weeks and Crisp put runners on the corners with nobody out in the sixth, but Britton settled down to get Daric Barton to bounce into a 4-6-3 double play that scored a run. After Conor Jackson walked, Josh Willingham flied out to left.
Oakland stranded a runner in the seventh and Weeks reached on a three-base error leading off the eighth before scoring on a sac fly from Crisp to make it a 3-2 game.
Gregg recorded three groundouts in the ninth.
Despite being swept, Oakland is still 20-7 in the series since the start of the 2008 campaign...The Athletics stranded five runners on base, while Baltimore left only one.
- OAKLAND: 2
Jun 8 9:22 PM
- Coco Crisp sacrifice fly out to center scored Jemile Weeks. None on with one out and Daric Barton due up.
Athletics 2, Orioles 3 Top 8, 1 OutJun 8 8:58 PM
- Daric Barton grounded into a double play, second to short to first scored Jemile Weeks. Coco Crisp out at second. None on with two outs and Conor Jackson due up.
Athletics 1, Orioles 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 8 8:22 PM
- Nolan Reimold fouled out to first to end the inning.
Athletics 0, Orioles 3 End 5Jun 8 8:16 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 8 7:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21