Rays score 2 in 11th to down OriolesJun 12, 2011 - 4:53 AM
Longoria went 3-for-5 with three RBI and a run scored, Ben Zobrist had three doubles and a triple along with four runs scored while Casey Kotchman added four hits and two RBI for the Rays, who have won four of five.
"I think that we've learned over the past several years is that games like this are what get you in the playoffs," said Tampa manager Joe Maddon. "It's part of our culture in this club now."
Juan Cruz (4-0) earned the win for getting the final two outs of the 10th inning while Kyle Farnsworth worked the 11th inning to pick up his 14th save of the season. Starter David Price went six innings and was charged with four runs on eight hits with a walk and six strikeouts.
Jeremy Accardo (3-2) was tagged with the loss for giving up two runs in the final inning for the Orioles, who had a four-game winning streak stopped. Jeremy Guthrie went six innings in the start and gave up three runs on eight hits.
Mark Reynolds hit a two-run homer and a solo shot while Matt Wieters went 3- for-4 with a run scored in the loss.
"You have to credit their guys cause they came up with the hits when they needed them," said Reynolds. "But this was a tough loss to take. All we can do is come back tomorrow and try to take the series."
In the 11th with Accardo on the mound, Zobrist led off with a double and later scored on Longoria's single. Kotchman followed with a double for the 7-5 lead.
Farnsworth then worked around a two-out single in the 11th to close the win.
Tampa plated one in the first when Johnny Damon led off with a single and later came home on a Longoria double for a 1-0 lead.
The score remained that way until the fifth when Tampa added to its lead. Damon led off with a double and Zobrist followed with a two-bagger. Longoria later singled home Zobrist for a 3-0 lead.
Baltimore, though, got two back in the bottom of the fifth. Reynolds led off with a homer and Brandon Snyder later singled. After Nick Markakis singled to put runners on the corners, Adam Jones' ground-rule double made it a 3-2 game.
The Orioles went ahead in the sixth as Wieters led off with a single and Reynolds' second homer of the game made it a 4-3 contest.
However, the Rays got it back in the seventh on a double from Zobrist and a two-out single off the bat of Kotchman.
A sparkling defensive effort in the bottom of the seventh kept the game tied as J.J. Hardy hit a ball that was headed over the wall in left, but Justin Ruggiano leapt to snag the ball for the out.
The eighth inning saw the Orioles tie the game on a two-out, bases loaded walk to Brandon Snyder that forced home Felix Pie, but Kotchman singled home Zobrist in the ninth to force extra innings.
Tampa clubbed 15 hits in the game and went 5-for-21 with runners in scoring position, but the team stranded 12...Baltimore left nine men on base after batting 1-for-8 with RISP...Baltimore has won six of the 11 games with Tampa this season...Wade Davis pitches for the Rays on Sunday while Brian Matusz takes the hill for Baltimore.
- TAMPA BAY: 7
Jun 11 10:55 PM
- Casey Kotchman double to center scored Evan Longoria.. Runner on second with one out and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 7, Orioles 5 Top 11, 1 OutJun 11 10:42 PM
- Casey Kotchman single to center scored Ben Zobrist. On the play, Matt Joyce advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 5, Orioles 5 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 11 10:01 PM
- J.J. Hardy grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Rays 4, Orioles 5 End 8Jun 11 9:50 PM
- Casey Kotchman single to second scored Ben Zobrist. Casey Kotchman advances to second on Robert Andino's throwing error. Runner on second with two outs and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 4, Orioles 4 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 11 9:09 PM
- Mark Reynolds one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (12) to center scored Matt Wieters. Robert Andino due up.
Rays 3, Orioles 4 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 11 8:54 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero struck out swinging to end the inning.
Rays 3, Orioles 2 End 5Jun 11 8:42 PM
- Mark Reynolds lead-off Home Run (11) to right center. Robert Andino due up.
Rays 3, Orioles 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 11 8:31 PM
- Evan Longoria single to center scored Ben Zobrist. Runner on first with one out and Casey Kotchman due up.
Rays 3, Orioles 0 Top 5, 1 OutJun 11 8:20 PM
- Ben Zobrist double to right scored Johnny Damon.. Runner on second with none out and Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 2, Orioles 0 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 11 8:17 PM
- Evan Longoria double to center scored Johnny Damon.. Runner on second with two outs and Casey Kotchman due up.
Rays 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 11 7:11 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 11 7:06 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21