Baltimore takes rare win in TorontoJun 16, 2011 - 11:27 PM
J.J. Hardy had a solo home run and Vladimir Guerrero went 3-for-4 with an RBI double for the Orioles, as Baltimore won in Toronto for the first time since August 7, 2009.
"He's been swinging the bat really well for us lately," said Orioles manager Buck Showalter about Hardy. "I know today he'll be on the plane thinking about his last about cause he's always wanting to improve his game."
Starter Jeremy Guthrie allowed only one hit and one walk over five innings before leaving with a back strain. Jason Berken (1-2) picked up the win for Baltimore, tossing two perfect innings of relief.
Jose Bautista had a two-run single and Adam Lind added a solo homer for Toronto, which still took two of the three games in the series, but have dropped five of seven overall.
Zach Stewart, making his major league debut, turned in a solid seven- inning start, yielding two runs on seven hits with one walk and four strikeouts. The 24-year-old righty went 4-3 with a 4.39 earned run average in 12 starts with Double-A New Hampshire this season.
"For the most part I was getting a bunch of outs with my sinker," said Stewart. "I threw that quite a bit today. It was fun out there and hopefully there's many more to come."
Tied at 2-2, singles by Guerrero and Luke Scott to start the ninth off Jon Rauch (2-3) put runners on the corners. Derrek Lee followed with a slow roller to third that brought in pinch-runner Nolan Reimold to put the Orioles in front.
Luis Perez entered in place of Rauch and walked Mark Reynolds to load the bases. Adams, who hit into three double plays earlier in the game, grounded a run-scoring single to left for his first-career RBI.
Shawn Camp then took the hill and retired the next three batters to keep it a 4-2 game.
Kevin Gregg came on for the home ninth and served up a leadoff homer to Lind before setting down Aaron Hill, Encarnacion and J.P. Arencibia to end the game and record his 13th save of the season.
Hardy opened the scoring in the sixth when he clubbed a fastball over the left-field wall leading off the seventh. Nick Markakis followed with an infield single and came around two batters later on Guerrero's double to make it 2-0.
However, Toronto responded with a pair in the home sixth off reliever Jim Johnson to tie things. After the first two batters reached, Corey Patterson moved the runners up a base with a bunt and Bautista's base hit scored both. Later in the inning with the bases loaded a one away, Edwin Encarnacion bounced into a tailor-made 6-4-3 double play.
Both bullpens kept the game deadlocked until the Orioles went ahead in the ninth.
Blue Jays catcher Jose Molina was ejected in the seventh inning for arguing with home-plate umpire Bob Davidson...Despite the win, the Orioles are still only 5-19 in their last 24 trips to Toronto.
- BALTIMORE: 4
Jun 16 3:08 PM
- Adam Lind lead-off Home Run (14) to right. Aaron Hill due up.
Orioles 4, Blue Jays 3 Bot 9, 0 OutsJun 16 3:05 PM
- Shawn Camp enters the game for the Blue Jays with the bases loaded and none out.
Orioles 4, Blue Jays 2 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 16 2:53 PM
- Derrek Lee's fielder's choice scored Nolan Reimold with none out. On the play, Luke Scott advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 3, Blue Jays 2 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 16 2:43 PM
- Jose Bautista single to center scored Jayson Nix and Yunel Escobar with one out. Runner on first and Adam Lind due up.
Orioles 2, Blue Jays 2 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 16 1:59 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero double to left scored Nick Markakis with one out. Runner on second and Luke Scott due up.
Orioles 2, Blue Jays 0 Top 6, 1 OutJun 16 1:50 PM
- J.J. Hardy lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 16 1:45 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 16 12:38 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22