Orioles use big first inning to beat PiratesJun 21, 2011 - 4:05 AM
Nick Markakis went 3-for-5 with two runs scored for the Orioles, who have won two in a row since dropping six of seven.
Jake Arrieta (9-4) gave up three runs on three hits with a pair of walks and two strikeouts over five innings. He also went 1-for-2 at the plate and drove in a run.
"When you get a big lead like that you want to pitch deep into the game to give the guys in the bullpen a break," said Arrieta. "The offense did really good today."
Andrew McCutchen went 3-for-4 with a run scored while Ronny Cedeno drove in two for the Pirates, who have dropped four straight. Charlie Morton (7-4) was lit up for seven runs -- six earned -- on eight hits with a walk and four strikeouts over just two innings.
"I was making my pitches and trying to get those groundball outs," said Morton. "Unfortunately, the balls were finding the holes out there today."
Baltimore got all the runs it needed in the first inning as the team batted through the order.
J.J. Hardy led off with a single, Markakis followed with a double and Jones chased them both home with a single to right that saw him take second. Derrek Lee followed with a single that scored Jones. Later in the inning, Robert Andino brought home Lee with a single and Arrieta helped his cause with an RBI single for a 5-0 lead.
The Orioles continued to pour it on in the second with an RBI double from Matt Wieters followed by a sacrifice fly from Mark Reynolds to make it a 7-0 contest.
The Pirates got one back in the bottom of the second when Cedeno doubled home Xavier Paul, who reached base on a fielder's choice, but Baltimore got it back in the third on a single from Hardy that saw Andino score after Jose Tabata misplayed the ball.
Pittsburgh made it an 8-3 game in the fourth as Xavier Paul singled home McCutchen and a Cedeno groundout brought home Garrett Jones.
However, Pittsburgh got just two more baserunners the rest of the game with Kevin Gregg working around a leadoff single by McCutchen in the ninth to close out the game.
The last time these teams met was in 2008 when the Orioles took two of three from Pittsburgh in Baltimore. June 6-8 was the last time Baltimore visited Pittsburgh...Baltimore batted 6-for-13 with runners in scoring position, but did strand nine men on base...Jeremy Guthrie pitches for Baltimore on Tuesday and will be opposed by James McDonald for Pittsburgh.
- BALTIMORE: 8
Jun 20 10:01 PM
- Ronny Cedeno grounded out second to first scoring Garrett Jones with two out. On the play, Xavier Paul advances to second. Runner on second and Michael McKenry due up.
Orioles 8, Pirates 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 20 8:43 PM
- Xavier Paul singled to right scoring Andrew McCutchen with one out. On the play, Garrett Jones advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ronny Cedeno due up.
Orioles 8, Pirates 2 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 20 8:39 PM
- Nick Markakis flied out to center. Runner on first with two outs and Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 8, Pirates 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 20 8:09 PM
- Ronny Cedeno doubled to center scoring Xavier Paul with two out. Runner on second and Michael McKenry due up.
Orioles 7, Pirates 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 20 8:00 PM
- Mark Reynolds sacrifice fly to center scored Derrek Lee with two out. Runner on second and Felix Pie due up.
Orioles 7, Pirates 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 20 7:46 PM
- Matt Wieters doubled to left scoring Nick Markakis with one out. On the play, Derrek Lee advances to third. Runners on second and third and Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 6, Pirates 0 Top 2, 1 OutJun 20 7:44 PM
- J.J. Hardy struck out swinging to end the inning.
Orioles 5, Pirates 0 Mid 1Jun 20 7:23 PM
- Robert Andino singled to left scoring Derrek Lee with two out. On the play, Mark Reynolds advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jake Arrieta due up.
Orioles 4, Pirates 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 20 7:20 PM
- Derrek Lee singled to right scoring Adam Jones with none out. Runner on first and Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 3, Pirates 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 20 7:12 PM
- Adam Jones singled to right scoring J.J. Hardy and Nick Markakis with none out. Runner on second and Derrek Lee due up.
Orioles 2, Pirates 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 20 7:11 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 20 7:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21