Cards top Orioles, end losing streak at 3Jun 29, 2011 - 5:01 AM
Nick Punto added a pair of hits, including an RBI single, while David Freese also had a pair of hits for the Cardinals, who snapped a three-game losing streak.
Kyle Lohse (8-4) worked five innings to pick up the win, yielding four hits while fanning two and walking one. He didn't pitch after a 27-minute rain delay.
"I felt strong, I wished that rain wouldn't have come in," Lohse said. "I felt I could have gotten quite a bit deeper than just five. You can't do anything about the weather, so the rest of the guys came in and did a good job."
J.J. Hardy smacked a solo home run and Nick Markakis chipped in with a pair of hits for the Orioles, who have lost four of their last six games and six of 10.
Zach Britton (6-6) worked 5 2/3 innings in defeat for Baltimore, giving up four runs on seven hits.
"It was more of a case of us not doing anything offensively," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said of his starter's performance. "It's a process for him, he's doing some things real well and there's some things he'll do better at as he goes forward."
Fernando Salas went 1 2/3 innings in relief to seal the win for St. Louis.
St. Louis opened the scoring with a three-run second and was in control from there. Freese hit a one-out infield single and Rasmus walked to put runners on first and second. Freese advanced to third on a line out by Yadier Molina and scored on a single to center by Mark Hamilton. Punto and Ryan Theriot followed with back-to-back RBI singles to give the Cardinals their 3-0 lead.
The Cardinals pushed their lead to four runs in the sixth on Rasmus' one-out homer to right, his seventh of the season.
They extended their lead again in the seventh. Punto belted a ball to center that soared over the head of Adam Jones, allowing him to slide into third with a leadoff triple. He scored on a sacrifice fly by Jon Jay to give St. Louis a comfortable 5-0 lead. Holliday then greeted Orioles reliever Jason Berken by blasting a fastball into the seats in left-center for his 10th home run of the year and a 6-0 lead.
The Orioles finally got on the board in the eighth, plating a pair of runs off Cardinals reliever Ryan Franklin. Hardy smashed a ball deep to center for his 11th home run of the year. Markakis followed with a sharp single to left and was chased home on an RBI double by Jones to cut the lead to 6-2.
The game was delayed by rain with two outs in the top of the sixth inning.
Baltimore is 22-20 at home and 11-16 in series openers this season...Orioles first baseman Derrek Lee went 1-for-4 and is only one hit shy of 1,900 for his career...Markakis extended his season-high hitting streak to 17 games...It marked the first ever regular season appearance in Baltimore for the Cardinals.
- ST. LOUIS: 6
Jun 28 10:14 PM
- Adam Jones doubled to right scored Nick Markakis.. Runner on second with one out and Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Cardinals 6, Orioles 2 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 28 9:49 PM
- J.J. Hardy one-out, solo Home Run (11) to left center. Nick Markakis due up.
Cardinals 6, Orioles 1 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 28 9:44 PM
- Matt Holliday two-out, solo Home Run (10) to left center. Lance Berkman due up.
Cardinals 6, Orioles 0 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 28 9:23 PM
- Jon Jay sacrifice fly out to left scored Nick Punto. None on with two outs and Matt Holliday due up.
Cardinals 5, Orioles 0 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 28 9:20 PM
- Colby Rasmus one-out, solo Home Run (7) to right. Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 4, Orioles 0 Top 6, 1 OutJun 28 8:34 PM
- Ryan Theriot singled to center scored Mark Hamilton. On the play, Nick Punto advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jon Jay due up.
Cardinals 3, Orioles 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 28 7:36 PM
- Nick Punto singled to center scored Colby Rasmus. On the play, Mark Hamilton advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Ryan Theriot due up.
Cardinals 2, Orioles 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 28 7:34 PM
- Mark Hamilton singled to center scored David Freese. On the play, Colby Rasmus advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Nick Punto due up.
Cardinals 1, Orioles 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 28 7:33 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 28 7:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21