Rangers rally past OriolesJul 6, 2011 - 4:43 AM
Josh Hamilton and Adrian Beltre each knocked in a run in the pivotal inning, while Tommy Hunter (1-0) got the win in relief of starter Matt Harrison.
Over six-plus innings, Harrison scattered 11 hits and two runs -- both on home runs to J.J. Hardy and Matt Wieters.
Jim Johnson (5-2) absorbed the loss, spoiling Mitch Atkins' first career start. Baltimore has dropped seven of eight overall.
The Rangers had a difficult time getting to Atkins, getting just one run off the right-hander on Nelson Cruz's RBI single in the sixth. Atkins was pulled to begin the seventh, having allowed one run on eight hits.
"[Atkins] really settled in and had a nice tempo. I'm real proud of the way he pitched," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said.
He was in line for the win, but Johnson couldn't hold a 2-1 lead. With two on -- both via walks -- and two outs, Hamilton lopped a single to left to score a run. Nolan Reimold's throw from left trying to nab Elvis Andrus at third got away from Mark Reynolds and allowed Andrus to score the go-ahead run.
Beltre added an insurance run when he went down to one knee and stroked a double to left.
Mark Lowe threw a scoreless eighth for Texas before Neftali Feliz worked a 1-2-3 ninth to log his 17th save of the season.
"You got to give [Atkins] credit for what he did, keeping us off-balanced. But we finally got to him in the sixth and broke out in the seventh and put enough runs up," Rangers manager Ron Washington said.
Hardy led off the game with his 13th homer, and Wieters went deep in the fourth.
Texas goes for the three-game series sweep on Wednesday with Alexi Ogando facing Jeremy Guthrie...Wieters had three of the Orioles' 12 hits, while Michael Young went 3-for-4 for Texas...The Orioles left nine runners on base...Atkins appeared in seven games with the Cubs out of the bullpen over the previous two seasons.
- BALTIMORE: 2
Jul 5 10:49 PM
- Adrian Beltre double to center scored Josh Hamilton with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Michael Young due up.
Orioles 2, Rangers 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 5 10:25 PM
- Josh Hamilton single to left scored Yorvit Torrealba with two out, on the play, Nolan Reimold throwing error scored Elvis Andrus. Runner on second with two outs and Adrian Beltre due up.
Orioles 2, Rangers 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 5 10:24 PM
- Nelson Cruz single to left scored Josh Hamilton with two out. On the play, Michael Young advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Mike Napoli due up.
Orioles 2, Rangers 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 5 9:55 PM
- Derrek Lee flied out to center. None on with one out and Nolan Reimold due up.
Orioles 2, Rangers 0 Top 4, 1 OutJul 5 9:09 PM
- J.J. Hardy lead-off Home Run (13) to left. Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 1, Rangers 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 5 8:10 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 5 8:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22