Young, Rangers rout Orioles for sweepJul 7, 2011 - 3:51 AM
Nelson Cruz hit a two-run single to cap a four-run opening inning against Jeremy Guthrie. Elvis Andrus had four hits and scored three times, and Mike Napoli added a three-run homer for the AL West leaders, who outscored the Orioles, 30-11 over the three-game sweep.
Young scored twice runs tonight, giving him 958 for his career, tied with Rafael Palmeiro for the most in Rangers history.
"He certainly swung the bat, he did whatever we needed him to do when we needed him to do it," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "I don't think it's anything you in Texas haven't seen Michael do before."
Alexi Ogando (9-3) fanned five batters over seven innings. The right-hander, who allowed four hits and three runs, moved to 7-1 at home this year.
Derrek Lee and Vladimir Guerrero homered for the Orioles, losers in eight of their last nine games.
Guthrie (3-11), who was charged with nine hits and six runs over five innings, fell to 1-7 on the road. He threw 38 pitches in the first inning.
"I would have loved to pitch better," Guthrie said. "I did not have a good outing, start to finish really struggled. I worked harder than I should have had to work. It's disappointing."
Ian Kinsler doubled, and Andrus and Josh Hamilton walked leading up to Adrian Beltre's sacrifice fly that left fielder Felix Pie made on a basket catch. Young then doubled to right to make it 2-0. Cruz followed with a two-run hit to center.
Lee homered with Matt Wieters on base in the second, but the Rangers piled on the runs by scoring twice in the fifth and sixth. Beltre double in a run in the fifth and came in on Young's line single to center. Kinsler and Andrus had RBI hits the following inning against Mike Gonzalez for an 8-2 margin.
Guerrero homered in the seventh, but Napoli capped the bottom of the frame with his 11th homer of the season. Young singled in Beltre earlier in the inning that saw Brad Bergesen charged with the four runs.
Nick Markakis and Guerrero singled in runs in the top of the eighth before Andrus scored in the bottom half on a grounder from Cruz.
The Rangers announced the signing of Nomar Mazara, a 16-year-old outfield prospect from the Dominican Republic. He reportedly received a $5 million signing bonus...Rangers pitcher Brandon Webb, who has appeared in one major league game since 2008, is expected to miss the remainder of the season as he recovers from right shoulder surgery...The Rangers snapped a seven-game losing streak in series finales...Texas has won five in a row against the Orioles.
- BALTIMORE: 5
Jul 6 10:59 PM
- Nelson Cruz grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scored Elvis Andrus. David Murphy out at second. Andres Blanco advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Mitch Moreland due up.
Orioles 5, Rangers 13 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 6 10:49 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero singled to left scored Nick Markakis. On the play, Adam Jones advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 5, Rangers 12 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 6 10:38 PM
- Nick Markakis singled to center scored Robert Andino. Runner on first with two outs and Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 4, Rangers 12 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 6 10:36 PM
- Mike Napoli one-out, three-run Home Run (11) to right scored Michael Young and Mitch Moreland. Endy Chavez due up.
Orioles 3, Rangers 12 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 6 10:25 PM
- Michael Young singled to center scored Adrian Beltre.. Runner on first with none out and Nelson Cruz due up.
Orioles 3, Rangers 9 Bot 7, 0 OutsJul 6 10:20 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 3, Rangers 8 Top 7, 0 OutsJul 6 10:10 PM
- Elvis Andrus doubled to left scored Ian Kinsler. Runner on second with two outs and Josh Hamilton due up.
Orioles 2, Rangers 8 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 6 10:05 PM
- Ian Kinsler singled to center scored Endy Chavez. Runner on first with two outs and Elvis Andrus due up.
Orioles 2, Rangers 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 6 10:03 PM
- Michael Young singled to center scored Adrian Beltre. Runner on first with two outs and Nelson Cruz due up.
Orioles 2, Rangers 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 6 9:42 PM
- Adrian Beltre doubled to left scored Elvis Andrus. Runner on second with two outs and Michael Young due up.
Orioles 2, Rangers 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 6 9:40 PM
- Felix Pie grounded out third to first to end the inning.
Orioles 2, Rangers 4 Mid 2Jul 6 8:48 PM
- Nelson Cruz singled to center scored Josh Hamilton and Michael Young. Runner on first with one out and Mitch Moreland due up.
Orioles 0, Rangers 4 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 6 8:32 PM
- Adrian Beltre sacrifice fly out to left scored Ian Kinsler. Runners on first and second and with one out and Michael Young due up.
Orioles 0, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 6 8:25 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 6 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22