Indians down OriolesJul 16, 2011 - 4:41 AM
Asdrubal Cabrera and Grady Sizemore hit two-run home runs and Michael Brantley went 3-for-5 with a run scored for the Indians, who have taken the first two games of this set.
Josh Tomlin (11-4) won his fourth straight decision despite a sub-par outing as he gave up five runs on six hits with a walk over five innings.
"We're where we want to be in the division and the bats have been a big part of that," said Tomlin. "We always have faith in the offense and the past couple of games they've been showing you what they can do."
Adam Jones went 2-for-4 with a two-run home run and three RBI while Matt Wieters and Nolan Reimold each added solo shots for the Orioles, who have lost nine straight and 14 of 15.
"It's frustrating out there right now," said Orioles manager Buck Showalter, who was back in the dugout after serving a one-game suspension due to several incidents in last weekend's series against Boston. "We were able to get some offense, but we weren't able to get the pitching when we needed it. Our location has been off on a few pitches here and the batters are taking advantage of it."
Jake Arrieta was tagged for five runs on eight hits over five innings. Jim Johnson (5-3) took the loss as he gave up a run over two innings of work.
Baltimore right fielder Nick Markakis hit a single in the third inning for the 1,000th hit of his career.
The game had gone back and forth through the first five innings, but the Indians took the lead for good in the sixth.
With Johnson starting the inning on the mound, Matt LaPorta led off with a double and Chisenhall followed with a single for a 6-5 lead.
Chad Durbin took the mound for Cleveland in the sixth and Mark Reynolds reached base with one out on a Cabrera error, but he was caught stealing. After Reimold walked, Rafael Perez took the mound and got Felix Pie to groundout.
Joe Smith worked around a two-out walk in the eighth while Vinnie Pestano pitched a 1-2-3 eighth to keep the Indians ahead.
Chris Perez walked Reimold to start the ninth, but retired the next three batters for his 22nd save of the season.
The Indians struck in the second inning as Sizemore led off with a double and later came home on a LaPorta single.
Baltimore took a 2-1 lead in the second on solo home runs from Wieters and Reimold, but Cleveland took a one-run lead in the third on a two-run shot from Cabrera.
Markakis' single in the third was followed by a double from Jones to tie the game at three apiece.
A Sizemore two-run home run in the fifth gave Cleveland the lead back, but it was short-lived as Jones tied it in the bottom of the frame when he hit a full count pitch over the wall in dead center with a man on.
Coming into the game, Arrieta was 5-0 in five starts against the AL Central this season...Markakis is the 14th player to reach 1,000 hits in an Orioles uniform. He accomplished the feat in 875 games...The Indians have taken five straight from the Orioles this season...Tomlin is 2-1 in three career starts against the Orioles...Baltimore designated hitter Vladimir Guerrero was out of the lineup for a second straight game with a crack in his right hand. Reimold served as designated hitter in his absence.
- CLEVELAND: 6
Jul 15 10:06 PM
- Lonnie Chisenhall single to right scored Matt LaPorta with none out. Runner on second and Michael Brantley due up.
Indians 6, Orioles 5 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 15 8:55 PM
- Adam Jones two-out, two-run Home Run (14) to center scored J.J. Hardy. Matt Wieters due up.
Indians 5, Orioles 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 15 8:46 PM
- Orlando Cabrera singled to right. Runner on first with two outs and Travis Buck due up.
Indians 5, Orioles 3 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 15 8:34 PM
- Adam Jones double to left scored Nick Markakis with two out. Runner on second and Matt Wieters due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 15 8:04 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera none-out, two-run Home Run (16) to left scored Michael Brantley. Travis Hafner due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 2 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 15 7:45 PM
- Nolan Reimold two-out, solo Home Run (5) to left. Felix Pie due up.
Indians 1, Orioles 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 15 7:39 PM
- Matt Wieters lead-off Home Run (9) to center. Derrek Lee due up.
Indians 1, Orioles 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJul 15 7:34 PM
- Lonnie Chisenhall flied out to left to end the inning.
Indians 1, Orioles 0 Mid 2Jul 15 7:30 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 15 7:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21