Orioles beat Indians to snap losing streak at 9Jul 17, 2011 - 3:44 AM
Adam Jones and Felix Pie both drove in two runs while Derrek Lee added an RBI for the Orioles, who are just 2-14 in their last 16 games.
"This was a big win and a big monkey off our back," said Pie. "As long as we keep playing the game right and doing all the things we need to do we will be successful. We have good starting pitching on this team and we need to take advantage of that."
Alfredo Simon (2-2) grabbed the win as he gave up just two runs on three hits with a walk and five strikeouts over seven innings.
"Simon was very tough, we couldn't do much against him," Indians manager Manny Acta said. "He pitched ahead, threw all his pitches for strikes. We didn't even work his pitch count because he was so effective in the strike zone."
Orlando Cabrera hit a three-run double in the ninth while Michael Brantley hit a two-run double in the sixth inning for the Indians, who had taken the first two games of the series after dropping the final three games of a four-game set against Toronto.
Carlos Carrasco (8-7) dropped his third straight start after giving up three runs on five hits with two walks and six strikeouts over seven innings.
The Orioles held a comfortable four-run lead going to the ninth and Kevin Gregg came on to close. He struck out Brantley to start the inning, but then walked the next three batters to load the bases. After Lonnie Chisenhall struck out, Cabrera roped a bases-clearing double to the gap in right-center to make it a one-run game.
Mike Gonzalez then came on and got Grady Sizemore to ground out for his first save of the season.
Baltimore got on the board in the first inning after J.J. Hardy led off with a double and later scored on an Adam Jones sacrifice fly.
Markakis, who got his 1,000th career hit on Friday, led off the fourth with a double and scored when Lee later singled him home for a 2-0 advantage.
The Indians tied the game in the sixth. Austin Kearns led off with an infield single and Lou Marson walked. Both runners moved up a base on Ezequiel Carrera's ground out and Brantley brought them home with a two-base hit.
Markakis, though, gave his team the lead back in the bottom of the frame with a one-out solo homer to right.
Baltimore gave itself some needed runs in the eighth. With one out, Markakis doubled and came home when Jones followed with a double. Later in the frame with the bases loaded, Pie doubled home two for a 6-2 advantage.
The Indians had won the previous five games against Baltimore this season...Cleveland's bullpen entered the game having not surrendered a run or hit in 10 innings, but gave up three runs on three hits in the eighth inning on Saturday...Baltimore batted 3-for-8 with runners in scoring position...After the game, the Orioles announced that they have optioned pitcher Pedro Viola to Double-A Bowie and will make a corresponding roster move on Sunday...A Baltimore newspaper reported on Saturday that the Orioles and Hardy agreed to a three-year contract extension worth between $22 and $22.5 million. The deal is pending a physical.
- CLEVELAND: 5
Jul 16 9:40 PM
- Orlando Cabrera double to center scored Asdrubal Cabrera,Travis Hafner and Carlos Santana with two out. Runner on second and Grady Sizemore due up.
Indians 5, Orioles 6 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 16 9:37 PM
- Felix Pie double to left scored Adam Jones and Matt Wieters with two out. On the play, Mark Reynolds advances to third. Runners on second and third and Nolan Reimold due up.
Indians 2, Orioles 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 16 9:19 PM
- Adam Jones double to right scored Nick Markakis with one out. Runner on second and Matt Wieters due up.
Indians 2, Orioles 4 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 16 9:06 PM
- Adam Jones grounded out short to first. None on with two outs and Matt Wieters due up.
Indians 2, Orioles 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 16 8:30 PM
- Michael Brantley double to right scored Austin Kearns and Lou Marson with one out. Runner on second and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 2, Orioles 2 Top 6, 1 OutJul 16 8:22 PM
- Derrek Lee single to left scored Nick Markakis with two out. Runner on first and Mark Reynolds due up.
Indians 0, Orioles 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 16 7:59 PM
- Adam Jones sacrifice fly to center scored J.J. Hardy with two out. None on and Matt Wieters due up.
Indians 0, Orioles 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 16 7:18 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 16 7:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21