Orioles power past IndiansJul 18, 2011 - 12:06 AM
Matt Wieters, Adam Jones and Nick Markakis each hit a solo home run as the Orioles won consecutive games for the first time since taking four straight in early June.
Since then the team had gone 6-23 and had lost nine straight before winning Saturday's game.
Starter Mitch Atkins lasted just three innings as he gave up three runs on six hits with two walks and three strikeouts. Mark Hendrickson (1-0) pitched three shutout innings for the win.
"It was a good game out there today," said Hendrickson. "Most of the time the role I'm in doesn't garner any attention unless it's negative attention so it was nice to go out there and pitch a solid game."
Travis Hafner and Carlos Santana hit solo home runs for the Indians, who have lost five of their last seven games. Jeanmar Gomez (0-2), who was recalled from Triple-A Columbus before the game, gave up five runs on six hits over 5 1/3 innings to take the loss.
The Indians plated three runs in the first inning to jump on top. With two outs, Hafner hit a solo shot to right-center and Santana followed with a huge blast to right that just stayed fair. Santana's home run was reviewed to see if it went foul, but the call on the field was upheld.
Grady Sizemore then doubled, and subsequently left the game with a right knee contusion after stumbling around first base, and Travis Buck later singled home pinch-runner Ezequiel Carrera for a 3-0 advantage.
The rest of the game, though, belonged to Baltimore as Cleveland blew several opportunities and the Orioles scored eight unanswered runs.
Jones got his team on the board in the second with a leadoff blast to the stands in left, his 15th of the season.
After Buck hit into an inning-ending double play with two on in the fifth, Baltimore went ahead in the bottom of the frame as Andino ripped a 3-1 pitch just over the wall in left with two men on for a 4-3 lead.
"I wasn't sure what pitch to expect but I had a hitter's count and was able to get a good swing on it," said Andino.
Cleveland left another runner on base in the sixth and Markakis made it a 5-3 game with his ninth shot of the season in the bottom of the inning.
Another opportunity for the Indians was wasted in the seventh after the team loaded the bases with one out. Singles from Carlos Santana and Carrera saw Mike Gonzalez chased from the game. Jim Johnson entered and was greeted by a Matt LaPorta single, but Buck hit a liner back to the mound which Johnson knocked down to get the force at home and Lonnie Chisenhall struck out to end the frame.
In all, Cleveland stranded 11 men on base and batted just 2-for-8 with runners in scoring position.
"We left way too many guys on base in this game," said Cleveland manager Manny Acta. "We got their starter out of the game by the third inning and weren't able to score any more runs. All that hurt us in the end."
The Orioles padded their lead in the seventh with two more runs. Derrek Lee led off with a double and moved to third on a Mark Reynolds groundout. Andino then laid down a suicide squeeze that saw Lee score and Andino reach second and J.J. Hardy later singled home Andino for a 7-3 advantage.
Weiters' solo home run in the eighth accounted for the final score.
Baltimore hosts Boston for three games starting on Monday...Cleveland has a double-header in Minnesota on Monday to begin a four-game set...Markakis extended his hitting streak to 11 games...Before the game, the Orioles placed designated hitter Vladimir Guerrero on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to July 11, with a fractured right wrist. The team recalled outfielder Matt Angle and pitcher Troy Patton from Triple-A Norfolk...Cleveland optioned outfielder Shelley Duncan to Columbus to open up a spot for Gomez...After the game, the Orioles optioned Atkins to Norfolk...The team announced after the game that Sizemore would travel with them to Minnesota for further examination and if more test are necessary he will return home to Cleveland.
- CLEVELAND: 3
Jul 17 4:37 PM
- Matt Wieters one-out, solo Home Run (10) to right. Derrek Lee due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 8 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 17 4:24 PM
- J.J. Hardy single to center scored Robert Andino. On the play, Matt Angle advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Nick Markakis due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 17 4:14 PM
- Robert Andino fielder's choice sacrifice bunt to first scored Derrek Lee, Robert Andino advances to second on Matt LaPorta's throwing error. Runner on second with one out and Craig Tatum due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 6 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 17 4:12 PM
- Nick Markakis one-out, solo Home Run (9) to right. Adam Jones due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 5 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 17 3:35 PM
- Robert Andino one-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left scored Matt Wieters and Mark Reynolds. Craig Tatum due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 4 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 17 3:18 PM
- Adam Jones lead-off Home Run (15) to left. Matt Wieters due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJul 17 2:20 PM
- Travis Buck single to right scored Orlando Cabrera. On the play, Matt LaPorta advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Lonnie Chisenhall due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 17 1:53 PM
- Carlos Santana two-out, solo Home Run (15) to right. Grady Sizemore due up.
Indians 2, Orioles 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 17 1:47 PM
- Travis Hafner two-out, solo Home Run (9) to right center. Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 17 1:42 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 17 1:38 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21