Hunter, Trout power Angels past O'sJul 24, 2011 - 11:52 PM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Torii Hunter went 2-for-5 with a double, a home run and two RBI as the Angels downed the Orioles, 9-3, in the rubber match of a three-game set at Camden Yards.
Mike Trout added a three-run blast in the seventh -- the first of his career -- and Mark Trumbo had two RBI for Los Angeles, which picked up its fourth win in five games.
Tyler Chatwood (6-6) earned the win -- his first since beating the Dodgers June 25 -- after holding Baltimore to two runs on six hits over seven frames.
"(Chatwood) had great stuff, great breaking ball command, great fastball command and brought the changeup into the mix also," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "Tyler pitched an outstanding game. We certainly haven't seen him with that much command this season, it was great to watch."
Nick Markakis went 3-for-4 with a double and a solo homer, and Adam Jones added a two-run blast for the Orioles, who dropped their fourth game in six tries.
Jeremy Guthrie (4-14) took the loss after giving up three runs on six hits over seven innings.
Los Angeles broke the game open in the eighth, taking a commanding 8-2 lead after Mark Worrell took over in relief. The Angels quickly put runners at first and third before Trout clobbered a 3-1 fastball into the left-field stands. Two batters later Maicer Izturis drew a walk before Hunter roped an 0-2 offering over the left-field wall.
The Angels added one more in the ninth after Trumbo singled to right to knock in Alberto Callaspo, who reached on a base hit earlier in the inning.
Baltimore managed to score one more run in the ninth on a Markakis homer, but was unable to overcome the large lead Los Angeles had put together.
The Angels got on the board in the third to take a 1-0 lead. With two outs, Hunter doubled to center then scored when Bobby Abreu roped a single through the hole at second past a diving Robert Andino.
Los Angeles added two more in the fourth. Callaspo drew a leadoff walk then moved to third on a Howie Kendrick ground-rule double to dead center. Callaspo then scored on a Trumbo sacrifice fly to deep left. Two batters later Kendrick scored when Macier Izturis doubled to right.
The Orioles cut the lead to 3-2 in the sixth after Jones launched a fastball into the left field stands. Markakis dropped a base hit into the center before Jones blasted the 2-0 offering over the wall for his 18th homer of the season.
"Adam and Nick have been hitting well and some guys aren't hitting well," Baltimore's Matt Wieters said. "We're all trying to win, it doesn't matter if we're getting hits or we're not getting hits the goal is to win games and right now we're not winning games."
Kendrick hit his 23rd double of the season...Baltimore fell to 15-16 in day games this season...Markakis hit his 99th career home run...Baltimore now has 112 homers on the year.
- LOS ANGELES: 9
Jul 24 4:05 PM
- Adam Jones popped out to second. None on with one out and Mark Reynolds due up.
Angels 9, Orioles 3 Bot 9, 1 OutJul 24 4:00 PM
- Mike Trout struck out looking to end the inning.
Angels 9, Orioles 2 Mid 9Jul 24 3:56 PM
- Torii Hunter two-out, two-run Home Run (13) to left scored Maicer Izturis. Bobby Abreu due up.
Angels 8, Orioles 2 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 24 3:36 PM
- Adam Jones two-out, two-run Home Run (18) to center scored Nick Markakis. Mark Reynolds due up.
Angels 3, Orioles 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 24 3:07 PM
- Maicer Izturis double to second scored Howie Kendrick. On the play, Bobby Wilson advances to third. Runners on second and third with two out and Torii Hunter due up.
Angels 3, Orioles 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 24 2:29 PM
- Mark Trumbo sacrifice fly out to left scored Alberto Callaspo. Runner on second with one out and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 2, Orioles 0 Top 4, 1 OutJul 24 2:23 PM
- Bobby Abreu single to right scored Torii Hunter. Runner on first with two out and Vernon Wells due up.
Angels 1, Orioles 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 24 2:09 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 24 1:37 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Orioles power past Angels 9-4 on 4 homers May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21
- Angels starter Santiago ejected for gesturing to umpire May 20
- Tim Lincecum signs $2.5 million, 1-year deal with Angels May 20